Monday, January 13, 2014

Losing our Marbles, what is on your mind?

Where did I put my marbles?
Losing our Marbles
Memory and mental functioning as we get older is on our minds. How many times have you heard, “I am having a senior moment?” I am good at trivial pursuit. I seem to know a lot of everything. When I can’t remember something I wonder why? When I think about it I remind myself why I should know some little fragment of useless trivia and there are still a lot of things I don’t know. Forgetting and recall should be normal in a life that keeps moving. Our brains are always making new pathways over older non used pathways that are natural and because one has lived long enough for this to happen should be expected.
In keeping with the Walking with the fat man are there things I can do to keep the brain healthy and functioning as I age? Here are some ideas I have found the last 7 years:
·       Walking and moving makes our brains grow more than crossword puzzles
·       Eating a heart healthy diet helps our blood vessels to stay open and prevent strokes and prevent development of dementia
·       Learning new things helps our brains to keep changing and growing.
·       Making new friends and experiences help our brain
·       Coping with stress is good for our brain
·       Staying hydrated helps the brain
·       Forgetting is part of life. Remember when you couldn’t recall something when you were young. Well you are still capable of forgetting. That’s life!

I was just reading WebMD an article by Dennis Thompson, “(Health Day News) -- Elderly people who participate in "brain training" classes to keep their minds sharp continue to see positive benefits 10 years after the training, according to a new study.” Particularly problem solving does better than memory. If we live long enough our brains will have wear and tear like the rest of our bodies but we can through life style changes do better along the way. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net