Saturday, January 11, 2014

Not a resolution but a revision

Not really a resolution but maybe a revision is what I have been acting on of late. BMI we often think of a weight we need to be at. A good goal if you are obese is to become over weight. The weight loss there is huge for your health. As long as you are improving your diet and fitness you are your way to greater health. Diet to me is about portion eating and eating smarter and for your health. BMI has some variable in it based on muscle to fat ratio. The best way to know that is when you get closer to a healthy weight check in with your doctor.
Another way to look at it is your waistline. How ever tall you are your waist should be 1/2 that. I know there is a difference between men and women so look up what is for you and check with doctor. For me my waist should be at 35 to 37 inches. Well my doctor would tell me to get real. So my first goal is 40 inches. Once a month I will take a measurement and report the loss or gain. When I get close to 40 I will reveal my waist size. I have to have some dignity.
My old man exercises have been a real encouragement. They are sit-ups, crunches, push-ups, dips, squats, lunges and flexibility moves. I am also going to work out getting off the floor. Working to increase my flexibility will help here. As we get older we should do these body exercises and find ways to get the practical benefit from it. I am not a doctor or qualified to advise you but I am thinking about it for myself. If you are unsure of yourself to get off the floor practice with the kids around or people that can help you get up. Use a stable chair right next to you or a bed. And if you need to check with your doctor first that is always the best. Try first from a sitting position, then from a laying down position. It is good to know what you got to work on. Do you play with the grand kids on the floor than you know. Maybe that's why people find yoga useful or Tai Chi. Learn more about senior fitness. Check out Web MD or Dr. Oz for ideas on flexibility. Another place may be the National Institute of Aging. Keep walking 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net