Friday, November 29, 2013

How Does God develop thankfulness, a few thoughts

From J Burkey's Vacation
Some of you have been shopping today. If you enjoy shopping, today would be a good day. I am one that hunts when I shop and I am not a good match for one who likes to shop and compare. Get it and get out of there, on to the next mission would be my attitude. Needless to say I am little fun at it. If you enjoy to shop, don't let my attitude stop you, shop and enjoy.
Amy Norton reports for Health Day that being thankful can be good for us. Apparently it lowers blood sugar and deceases inflammation in our bodies. That can be a boost in our immune system and help fight diabetes, cancer, and heart disease just a little. It also can help with our relationship with others and increase the willingness to cooperate together. http://news.health.com/2013/11/28/giving-thanks-could-be-good-for-you/
Wayne Styles blogs, "A heart of thankfulness comes from one simple word—perspective. In particular he implores the idea of loss and how it develops thankfulness. Wayne loss his mother ten years ago on Thanksgiving and that has forced him to  reflect on how God develops a thankful heart. He sights several examples of how trials and loss increase our thankfulness. One we can all relate to. Our car is totaled and our family escape serious injury. We may have had a fight earlier that day, but now we are grateful for each other. He cites Bible commentator Matthew Henry's experience:
"fell prey to robbers one day. That evening he made the following entry in his diary:
Let me be thankful—First, because I was never robbed before. Second, because although they took my wallet they did not take my life. Third, because although they took my all, it was not much. And finally, because it was I who was robbed and not I who robbed." Lose something and later God provided to care for the loss, causes us to be thankful. http://www.waynestiles.com/thankfulness-comes-from-one-simple-word/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+waynestiles+%28Wayne+Stiles+Blog%29
In yesterday's Our Daily Bread explored the opposite type of experience, How to Enjoy things. I am sitting here in my dining room looking at the sun coming through the room, my indoor garden and flowers including my Christmas cactus in bloom. My Red gardenias in bloom. I had just finished my morning workout, showered and continued various projects I am working on. My home is a 130+ years old, but it is remodeled and a few other things planned. All in all a very nice place to live these 24 years. Painfully I am aware of others who are without. None of us knows the future, but today I am thankful for what I have. Reading through my Bible I read Ecclesiastes 5 yesterday, but it came up again in Our Daily Bread I read this morning. Being thankful for things is a good thing. Loving people and using things is a good attitude.     
"18 Here is what I have seen to be good: it is appropriate to eat, drink, and experience good in all the labor one does under the sun during the few days of his life God has given him, because that is his reward. 19 God has also given riches and wealth to every man, and He has allowed him to enjoy them, take his reward, and rejoice in his labor. This is a gift of God, 20 for he does not often consider the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with the joy of his heart." Eccles. 5:18-20 HCSB
Paul shared his experience in Phillipians 4: "11 I don't say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content — whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. 13 I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me."
I was sleeping on a cement floor on a hike I was on. My equipment was already sent on ahead so I was there with out my usual bedding. I thought on the highlighted verse all night to no avail. I was not content. Sometimes our experience or trial has to be endured. I think of Band of Brothers who had to endure the cold winter at Bastone. To the day they died, they probably get cold thinking about it. Sometimes we go through trauma where we need support just to survive. Pain may actually be used to help us make it. Later upon reflection we may give thanks. I was thankful for the hike, and not that one night. I became a little wiser.
Keep walking through the holidays. Yesterday the meal was great!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net