Friday, November 1, 2013

Fit and fat? It is possible to out live your skiny friends

Fitness magazine reported that one can be fat and healthy. If you are fit and have good health numbers like blood pressure, good cholesterol, good blood sugar you can actually be OK.
"Recent research suggests that being overweight or even obese may not, in and of itself, be the health threat we think it is. A 2012 study from the National Cancer Institute found that moderately obese people actually lived about 3.1 years longer than normal-weight women and men. Another study, published in the European Heart Journal, showed that when obese people are metabolically healthy -- which means their blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar and other indicators fall within a healthy range -- they are at no greater risk of dying from heart disease or cancer than those who are of normal weight."  
The article cites our bias against heavier female Olympian athletes as an example society frowns on heavy people in general. I have read articles that if you are moving and doing aerobic and strength training and stretching you may be better off overweight than those who are skinny and sedimentary.
Now myself I am a work in progress. I have borderline high blood pressure that I have to control with medicine. When I am doing physical things my body has improved. I believe weight becomes more of an issue as we age. But it is also true it is not the only factor to health.
Let's say you like me are over weight. Are you healthy? Great, keep up the good work. Walking, healthy eating, seeing your doctor, and things you are doing are working for you. But if you are like me, lets work at it. Get a pedometer and find ways to walk 7,000 to 10,000 steps. Make time to do a 20-30 minute walk most days. Trade bad fat for good fat and work to be more moderate. Sleep is huge.
If you are sedimentary take heart, you can make changes good for you. Check with your doctor and find out how you can get started. From me you will always be encouraged to keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net