Monday, November 18, 2013

"Experience the Land and the Book" How I got started

Engeti where David found refuge near the Dead Sea
Great place to swim
Back in 1976 Barb and I were in the first year of our marriage. We took a six day honeymoon in February at the Chateau Louis in St. Charles Il. The hotel was much like a cruise boat with a couple pools, six cozy restaurants. A beautiful room with a downs comforter and our maid really was swell and treated us like royalty. There were fountains and best of all there was my bride.
Later that summer was stage two of our honeymoon. We got to go to Israel for a month to study at the American Holy-land Studies in connection with Wheaton College.  For one week we had to stay because we were married at a convent that just started to entertain study groups. We were there first one. The singles in our group stayed at an English hospice in Jerusalem. The nuns gave Barb and I a room off the chapel with a high dome ceiling. I felt like royalty back in the Middle Ages with this huge room and a bed in the middle. Perfect for newly weds. Our meals were great. Breakfast was all middle eastern. The nuns were from Lebanon. In the evening we had 6 or 7 course meals. The menu was made up of new tastes and foods for this very local Joliet boy. The nuns told us they were new at this hospitality and that was great for us. We had a prayer meeting on Friday and the nuns joined us. We made friends.
Two and 1/2 weeks we stayed at the school and Barb and I were given a professor's room on leave that over looked the city of Jerusalem. We took an over night trip to Galilee and was given rustic quarters were we had a sheet to cover our feet or our heads, not both. On the way home we spent three days in London and the Victorian Hotel. Bathrooms were shared with other quests, the bathtubs were clawed feet and it all had the feel of going back into the 1900 century. Traveling by train and finding our way through London, looking every bit the lost American, it was a hoot.
I have mentioned before we did indeed study on our trip. Barb and I were in competition. It would be one of many humble defeats for me, but I became a better student for the effort. About 10 years ago I came into contact with Dr. Terry Hebert's web site, walkingintheirsandals.com. he developed several interactive CD where you could study the land of Israel through on site studies and tours. Type in the name or site and you will get a link where you can purchase these studies. It is great stuff if you want to visit the land of the Bible via your computer.
When I started my walk with Jesus studies some 5 + years ago I discovered Radio Bible Class has huge resources on the land of the Bible, particularly from Their Day of Discovery Series. My interest found there way to Wayne Styles bog and books. Wayne takes study groups to Israel and writes for the Jerusalem Post. Recently he worked with Charles Swindoll on an interactive series Experience the Land and the Book Links to these resources can be found in my Pages


Barb and I plan to view the DVD and study as we both remember and move forward in our understanding of the Bible and it's connection to the land. Swindoll's site 
For a few bucks you could get started with your own trip to Israel. Travel back in time as you put together the greatest story ever told. Check out the inductive Bible study links as well. You can understand the Bible as you take it up a book at a time. All this reminds me to keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net