Sunday, June 2, 2013

PTSD Post tramatic Stress from a heart attack or major surgery? Hey it happens...

My thoughts are on sleep as I myself will soon prepare for bed. Last week I read a study from Columbia University Medical Center where researchers reported about 13% of people who suffer an heart attack will have sleep problems due to an onset of PTSD. When I had traumatic surgery several years ago it triggered PTSD symptoms and insomnia that needed professional treatment. My experiences were so acute after the surgery that I knew if I had serious surgery again I would seek help. What I didn't realize was I already needed help. I sought help a few years later, but I should of sought help as part of my recovery from surgery. All the signs were there, but I did not act on it.
If it is true that at 63, 25% of us have clinical depression, could it be in part triggered by some major health event? Add to that death or divorce and loss of job or retirement and we are set up for an onset of depression and anxiety or PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It is also possible we face increased loneliness and social support from loss of job or family loss.
My experience, it took me three years to act on my sleep and anxiety disorders. These things can stare us right in the face and we are slow to act on it. What do you think? Why is it we are slow to seek help for our mind and emotions when we are faster to act upon our heart or injuries?
What ever my problems, Liam helps my
perspective
Consider your experience and if you have or are going through some traumatic event due to health, heart diseases, cancer, diabetes; bring to your medical team a Psychological professional whose insights may help your recovery and future be brighter. I am glad I did, but I wish I would have done so that first crazy night after major surgery I had. PTSD we think of from war or abuse, but it can also be from the traumatic treatments we experience as we age.
I was in the hospital for nine days and I talked to fellow patients who faced there own horrors. Since then I have talked with many others and they shared their scary stories. We need support and help in these times. Psychological and spiritual help should be the norm What do you think? Keep walking

http://newsroom.cumc.columbia.edu/2013/05/30/poor-sleep-linked-to-ptsd-after-heart-attack/
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net