Saturday, October 9, 2010

decline slowed down by walking


Had a check up two days ago and my blood work was excellent. I have had continued improvements for over four years now. Walking and diet has seemed to change my ways from developing diabetes. Walking continues to improve my circulation. Swelling in the feet is gone and all my health numbers have moved into a healthy range. There is plenty to improve on with weight goals to be met and conditioning, strength and flexibility improved with better range of motion. Why not improve? At 58 I have several years to build and improve muscle health. Dr. Cooper has shown older seniors than me can improve flexibility, strength and conditioning.

With CP I continue to fall from time to time. This problem is like a dark cloud over my life. Resistance training and diet to build strong bone has to continue if I am to hold off the negative results of falls. There is little sympathy when these falls are severe enough to miss work. Physical therapy keeps me going, falls don't happen on the trails but at home or work.

On the up side my improved eyesight has renewed my skills and work to help kids. It is so great to see I still am rejoicing.

The ups and downs of health gives me a better understanding of Hemingway's ' plight at the end of his life. Aches and pains that are chronic with decline of life is hard on the one who was active. We need to encourage each other and pray for grace as we battle in our lives. Teddy Roosevelt I understand declined very rapidly in his fifties. Having my few problems helps me understand there are "dog days" that Churchill went through in advancing years.

Us men need each other as we age. We most certainly need the Lord. Chronic pain, disappointment, loss can fuel many resentments. In the end they can only weigh us down and deepen a depression where we lose hope. Walking, plenty of water, resistance exercises for all our aching muscles and joints help us fight back and stay in life. I see the delight of the kids I am helping learning to succeed in school, I see others I help able to do a better job. I would miss this if I didn't go to therapy when it hurt to do so. I would miss this if I didn't take my walks. I would miss this if I didn't take in healthy food. I would miss this if I did not meet the Lord in the night watch. Damn the bad attitudes that I have and do the work the best I can for the Lord, myself and those who may benefit and see the many surprises along the way. I think CS Lewis captured this in writting of the book, Surprised by joy. Lewis was just a few years older than I am when he passed in his 60's. Smoking I am sure didn't help him. I am convince we all age different. Walking keeps up at our top as long as we are able. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net