Wednesday, October 20, 2010

stay positve

In October walking is at its best. Cooler temperatures, seasonal colors, bright fall days all make fall the favorite time of year for many walkers. Since I have been back walking recovered from injuries I am getting back into aerobic shape. I can feel pace picking up and my gate longer. The days I Frisbee golf my throws have improved and I can handle the uneven terrain better.
I work at a large school and steps are easy to accumulate through out the day.

Last night I went through a series of strengthening exercises and I have been stretching and increasing my flexibility a little at a time. This kind of exersise can add steps to our day. All this leads to less pain.

Barb worked with a great guy who just passed away from an asthma attack at the age of 61. His work for the handicap was exceptional. He was telling her of an article he read where happy people and grumpy people die at about the same age. The next day he died. Sudden death can hit any one of us.

There have been lots of studies that report a positive attitude improves our health both in quality of life and length of life. Articles can always be found that seem to contradict one another. Living a healthy life style makes a difference but people who live healthy can have problems and even experience sudden death. In baseball one can hit 250 and another can hit 300. Both players can win a game but all things considered we would take the 300 hitter over the 250 hitter. Health is like this, a person can smoke and live to 85 but we know it is better for us not to smoke. I know my quality of life improves as I walk, use resistance exercise and stretch. I am more likely to add a year or two to my life doing these things since my early fifties but regardless of my outcome my journey is better.

What I do today is what counts and it is what I have control of. Seize the day, Keep walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net