Wednesday, February 26, 2014

No gimmicks but we need a plan

We've been exploring the ideas that we don't need gimmicks to make changes or to fight for our health. As we get older there's a lot more things are probably getting away. We may encounter diseases like heart disease or trying to prevent it like I am. I take a statins, I take my blood pressure medicine, and I work out and pay attention to what I'm eating. Other people may be looking at diabetes, or they may be looking at cancer. You know these three things coronary or vascular issues of heart and stroke, cancer, and diabetes that's what eventually gets to all of us if we live long enough. But diseases have a way of being an obstacle for us to make lifestyle changes that we may need to do to have a better chance of it. More and more doctors and scientists and experts are looking at obesity as a obstacle for good health. And obesity I think starts to kick in and affects us more as we age. By the age of 65 it could be a significant factor in why people are not moving around and becoming sedimentary.
So there we have it, we're sitting, not taking care of ourselves, we're over eating, we're not moving enough and we are doing activities like watching TV or computer or something that's not getting us moving. We need to ask ourselves a  question, 'Where are we at right now?'  that is is very important because I think each one of us the answer can be different.
So let's put a plan in action. We've  may have health issues, we may have an injury, we've had something going on where we've kind of put our life on hold. There could be an emotional event a loss of a job loss of a mate, a loss of the child,  other relationships breaking down. We encounter emotional issues that we never had before. Everyone of these problems could take us a while to figure out what steps we should take.
So while we're dealing with it, it's time to take the first steps. Like Bill Murray in What about Bob sometimes they have to be baby steps.
If we have become so sedimentary that just a little bit of walking we are breathing kind of hard, then the first step is to see our doctor.  Most people can return to moving again upon doctor's recommendations. My ideas may or may not be what your doctor says. Follow your doctor's counsel.
Here are some ideas to think about. I think it's a good idea to walk throughout the day. If that's our
case just take small walks and get yourself a pedometer and keep track of how many steps today. walking with walker, cane, taking walks into parts of your house through out your day is a start. If you can take a little walk every half hour or hour for sure. Keep you blood moving. Don't sit hour after hour at your computer or TV or reading. Get up every half hour and walk to the kitchen, use your stairs if you can. See how many steps you take. As you move you may find you are getting stronger
You know your first goal is to try and become un-sedimentary by walking over 3000 steps throughout the day. If you are really in this way make sure you start slow and follow your doctor's advise.
Your next goal should be trying to shoot for 5000 steps a day,  This may take you several months to get to and it may not happen all at once. Every day trying to walk in the morning,  start with minute walks, then two minute walks, than three minute walks, A minute afternoon go for another walk again starting minute to minute three minutes, and then an evening walk again same thing a minute two minutes three minutes and slowly build yourself up to where your walking increases where you can do 3 10 minute walks. If you walk 30 one minute walks in your day, you will notice the difference. 
I know I am repeating myself, but it is important. Your check in with your doctor you're going along with his recommendations, Your doctor may have personal recommendations for you. I am throwing ideas out there, but I don't know you and I am not a doctor. I do know most of us can get moving again. 
When it comes to walking through out the day if you can walk 7,000 to 10,000 steps a day you are on your way to being healthier.
Next, If you  haven't done resistant training in a while you have to start somewhere. It's a good idea to think about how you can use your body for strength training. There's a lot of exercises that you can do from the get-go. Again it starts with checking in with your doctor and then it goes from your doctors
recommendations. here you want to ask about resistant training for seniors or for people recovering from injury or illness. Your plan is unique to you. Here are a few ideas:

  • check out on different sources about exercising for older people. There's exercises that can be done in a chair or around the chair. 
  • There are exercises like I do where you can modify. A lot of strength movements can be done from things around your house. I can do a push-up off-the-wall, great for anybody. I could do a push-ups off of the table. (The idea I can my fat man exercises)
  • I can do a push-up off of the counter. My counter is a great place for exercises. I can do lounges, I can do squats, I can do heal raises, I can do push-ups, I can do dips. In all these things I can use my counter for balance, as well as for structure to do some exercises like dips for example. When I do dips I use my legs to assist the movement to my fitness level.  Squats can be done off of the bed or chair I can I can do push-ups off of the bench and the lower you get to the ground the stronger the push-up movements. One push-up I can do is often the lower stair. 
  • I think every day we could do something with their abs. I learned that from listening to one of the gym instructors talking to the kids in gym class do something every day for your abs. And so I do my sit ups off the bed. I got my feet on the floor and I just set up. It's got me very much into the movement with my CP, I have a hard time moving my upper body and lower body together, I always had. But here's a modification where I can actually do the movement and I find the movement is good for range of motion as well as strengthening my abs. I also do crunches and reverse crunches and other kind of moves for my abs. I'm learning how to do different kind of planking; I find it challenging, but I'm getting into that a little bit all to help to core muscles. Walking and standing also helps core muscles and so if you're sitting too much find ways to stand for your day. If you are sedimentary, try doing daily shores.  Stand down your work brothers you're working on a project and as you do things first. Of time all these muscles that you need to do it will strengthen itself. 

The flexibility is something that catches us unaware. We never know when we're going to become
Hit the trails this spring
inflexible, when the aging process makes us more stiff. Unlike a lot of people I've had the stretching all my life because of my cerebral palsy but now that you're getting older you maybe finding that you need to do a little bit of that as well. Flexibility helps range of motion helps with our pain, and definitely can with like with muscle exercise, walking and some resistance training we can actually take less painkiller. Movement works! Again be mindful of flexibility for seniors. 

Using resistant bands which I think are great as we get older we can find the bands for light exercises, exercises that need a little more strength, and then exercises that can take a lot of strength. There are levels of bands for your total fitness. Start with one repetition of 8-12 of the movements and when you are done with your routine, rest from it for 48 hours. As you get into it you can do one or two more sets. Multiple sets can build muscle into our 90's. Important to ease into it. 
Both the Internet and exercise support her out there for you to do right at home. Look into it and see what kind of works for you. My ideas are all about modifications. On my pages I have some good sites for support.
As we age it harder to lose weight and keep it off. I think it is easy to get discouraged. I think weight-loss is one of the most discouraging things that people face today. There's a lot of people working on it but it's a lot harder to be successful at getting over obesity.  Here I am the fat man walking and I've been at this blog now for several years, and I still need to make progress on my weight-loss. Am I a hypocrite? Maybe. But I can look at it today and know I need to move forward.  So I've been taken steps. I've decided to measure inches rather then the scale. And right now I am holding my own. And think I think I lost a half an inch, from last month. I will post my progress. Our waist should be half our height.  
I've been reading some articles of late that seems to point out that as we move into our middle 60s obesity makes it harder to be moving and it leads to more sedimentary kind a living. I am challenged by that to see if I can change the outcome. As I move towards a BMI that is more healthy, I look at this as a long-term success, and not just a quick fix. But that doesn't mean I don't need to act now,  I think I do. So for me I'm looking at where I'm going wrong, and I'm also looking at both information is helpful and also how to kick in the proper health response from my medical doctor and some other people to set up a better plan to do this.
Think through your life, Are you not moving enough? So where you at? Can we start today with a plan to see your doctor and to start looking for ways to move and get creative with it and try every day?
We need muscle to stay independent so take a look at strength training, this actually helps your heart and helps against your fight against the big three cancer diabetes and heart disease  A note on the fitness bands, you can take them any where and do everything you can do in a gym. Start slow and light and you will find they are great for senior fitness. Muscle looks better in our clothes and women don't bulk up. Think tone!
So I hope all these things Get active and go out there keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net