Monday, February 17, 2014

Being aware of depression and know it can be cared for has been my experience

I was reading Robert Hill's Seven Strategies for Positive Aging, he looks at attending a high school reunion as a metaphor in life. Steve attended his high school 50th reunion. What happens at a reunion is your enter a time phenomenon where your see people your age and yet your memories take you back and despite all the changes you remember what all these people look like. Personalities don't change. Steve noticed there were people who aged very well. The one characteristic was they looked toward life positively and saw their assets and not their deficits.  They were able to change and adapt with age. I thought it funny Steve referred to him and his classmates as middle age. I wonder at what time do we get old?
In the spirit of my reading, I saw several interesting articles in the news today related to getting older. In regard to dementia one study I looked at today shared how moderate regular exercise started by older people can help the brain to grow and delay onset of mental decline even by a year or two. For many such activity will have multiple effects. What is a value of one or two years of health? Maybe it helps longer? Check out the article.
A study out of University of Chicago reports loneliness can be twice as deadly as obesity. Being alone
can contribute to depression and that in turn can do a number on our health.
Here is where the Fat Man can be an encouragement to you today. Several years ago I decided to treat depression and anxiety so depression would not be how I aged. Depression is treatable and worth the effort to be healed and move on. Insomnia as well is better to treat it and sleep better. I have read and reported how 25% of us are depressed at 63. It is one of those things that we should be aware of. When you are depressed there is a sense of hopelessness. I can tell you first hand that it can be treated. It feels wonderful to be well. It took work and care and wasn't easy but there is an other side. It is why I am open about being care for.
A mental illness is not a criminal act. It is not something that diminishes our self worth and character. Only 4% of those with a mental illness act out in a criminal way. If you take a closer look they probably have already done so ill or not. Our brains like our heart, lungs, arteries, kidneys, liver, muscles and bones have issues as we live and age. Illnesses can be cured, go into remission, coped with where life goes on. My depression it appears is cured. My anxiety disorder is being managed most of the time I don't even know it is there. There are times when I am sick where anxiety says hello. I have several techniques I have learned to quickly respond where it goes away.
Be aware as you get older loneliness and depression may need help. Read the article, University of Chicago http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/02/17/loneliness-can-be-lethal-for-seniors/66020.html
Prevent defense in football may not work, but prevent lifestyle choices can really prevent a heart attack. Here are some key ideas to be aware of. http://news.health.com/2014/02/15/taking-care-of-your-heart/
Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net