Monday, December 16, 2013

Winter is here, Snow removal safety

Snow house in Jerusalem - Ferrell
Cutting grass, shoveling snow have been a part of my walking program for years. Daily walking I think is a key to these activities. Check out step conversions for these activities. If you are not walking or exercising hire them done. Winter brings special problems which Health Day briefly covers. (link below.

  • To conserve heat our blood vessels constrict and blood is moved to the core of the body. That is why we should warm up and move before we shovel and heat up the body. 
  • Wearing layers and covering body helps keep the warmth close to our bodies and I would thing our blood vessels more open. 
  • Push the show and not lift. And for me use a snow blower for most of the work. Allowing the machine to work make this closer to cutting grass.
  • Now this is my favorite part, I have now time limit to finish the job. I can work for 10, 15, 20 minutes and take a break. I can sit on my deck and drink a hot chocolate, tea, or coffee, listen to music, enjoy the view and go back to work. This is really good with heavy wet snows, or heavy accumulation. You can prioritize your work and finish it when you have time.
  • Part of a ten thousand step day. I usually do 3,000-4,000 steps removing my snow. 
  • Sharing the blessing of work, I usually do my neighbor's front and help a vet. 
Not sure it is for you? No problem hire a neighbor kid or somebody in need of a buck. Do an indoor walk with Leslie Sansone. When you are done sit outside on your deck dressed warm and enjoy a beverage with me enjoying the fresh air. As always if you are starting a walk program check with your doctor. Keep walking
http://news.health.com/2013/12/14/snow-shoveling-health-tips-as-winter-looms/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net