Friday, December 13, 2013

Independence in Retirement? a few thoughts

If he is like me there may not be bait on the line -
Sorry dad and Rich
Independence in Retirement? I read an article today where people over 45% of people 65-69 will need some assistance in their daily life. That may include devises and Tech stuff that are used independent of others such as a cane. Many of us have already used eyeglasses and in the future hearing aides. Life can be adapted and enjoyed. In my blog I have talked about walking, strength training and flexibility as a way to slow down the aging process with the idea of greater control over our activities and life. In retirement now I have been able to get back on track to lose weight. Why? I want to live better in the years ahead.
I have been thinking about independence has to be more than self reliance. Independence has to be more than a second childhood. You and I have seen the ads, retired people walking the beach, dancing, eating in restaurants in exotic locations. I am all for that stuff on vacation, dinner dates and times to relax. Not doing that stuff all the time keeps it special. Today I was watching my wife and grand-daughter making cookies and doing homework together. Listening to them, they were having fun. Both of them were sharing their memories together. We actually had the privilege of being to the beach with that grandchild and it was a memory. But I can't say it was better than what I saw today.
Working on our health is about the ability to move and think; but it is also about to feel the ones in our lives, friends and family still kicking and enjoying the day the Lord has made. Independence to not be lonely. I got a big kick out of my three grandsons doing stuff for me this year. To see them flex their muscles and brains to do some projects around the house. I could have hired it out, but their help was better. They did most of the work and I mostly watched fetched, and talked. My littlest grandchildren bring their own joys.
Time brings its challenges and we may need a little help from time to time, but that ain't all bad. Keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net