Thursday, December 5, 2013

Is it wise to extend life? Weighing in

Getting older and is it wise to extend life to 100 or beyond is in public debate these days. At the heart of it will be cost. The focus has been are we extending life to be lived or prolonging the time we die. We know as government takes control of medical spending inside the beltway elitism will swing to saving money by limiting end of life medicine. I have been looking at articles meant for student interest and education and the articles are framed in such a way that extending life is either wrong or unwise. Like many social issues kids are being programmed to accept the idea of what the elite think is best for them. Increasingly the elderly will be seen as a burden to a growing number of people who have come from fragmented and dysfunctional homes.
I would like to look at aging science from a different point of view. Learning and research has a way of filtering down to better ideas and care. There are a lot of people who are living better because of aging science. The three things that matter, heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, care has improved and people live better and longer. We know a lot about preventative care and I have seen it out in the neighborhoods and parks where people walk. Obesity has become the new smoking warning and I believe we will see improvement.
I believe it is important to value seniors. Their contribution and presence gives perspective that glues us together. In our lives they still means a lot. My parents passed early and when they are gone they are missed. Living well and even experiencing the effects of aging are part of the human experience.
In the Bible a few thoughts center on human value:
Net Ps. 92:14 "They bear fruit even when they are oldthey are filled with vitality and have many leaves."
NASB Job 12:12 "Wisdom is with aged men, with long life is understanding."
NASB  Zech 8:4 "Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'Old men and old women will again sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each man with his staff in his hand because of age." 
NASB Ps. 71:9 "Do not cast me off in the time of old age; Do not forsake me when my strength fails."
NKJV  Isa. 46:4 "Even to your old age, I am He, And even to gray hairs I will carry you ! I have made, and I will bear; Even I will carry, and will deliver you."
NASB  20:29 T"he glory of young men is their strength, And the honor of old men is their gray hair."
I wonder as the "Great generation (those who went through the depression & WWII)" passes if we will respect the baby boomers. 
A friend of mine shared the view it is good we old guys retire and give our kids an opportunity to work. I actually have seen many articles and discussions on that point. What I think is more crucial is creating more jobs that matter. Inside the beltway doesn't seem to have much thought on that. 
I hope we keep aging science out there and deal better with those who are in there last moments. I know it will improve living. Something more than cost is at stake. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net