Thursday, January 26, 2012

Remembering Jack Ellis, pt 2

 Jack lived life as cheap as possible. In his later years his family and I recollected many funny stories of ways he saved money. When I was younger I would help Jack on a project or two where I would be hammering a used nail in a recycled hard board working three times as hard because I have to straighten out the nails. A friend of mine’s Mike became a professional carpenter because these projects with Jack.

To be or not to be
 Jack always played tennis with an old set of balls. New can of balls sped up the and gave big hitters the advantage. Jack was a dinker and the old flat balls played into his game. We came off the court one beautiful summer day playing doubles and singles and Jack had a good day. I think I lost more that I won that day. I had the can in my hands as we were walking to our vehicles and a truck rolled by. Inspiration came upon me as I threw the can into the back of the truck as it passed by. I still remember the shock and then followed by all of us playing that day roaring in laughter. Jack knew exactly why I did it. He said how could I get rid the can of balls, they had a lot of play left in them. I don’t know how many years Jack played with them but I figured he picked them off a court where somebody left them to begin with. The next time we played we played with new balls and Jack lost. The next time we played Jack had another can of old dead balls.

 Jack was sixty-five and I was forty. We went on a vacation together where we travelled around Lake Michigan stopping at all the light-houses and other interesting attractions. It was with the youth group and others who wanted to come along. Jack talked with my son about baseball and Jack was a non-stop talker but Billy loved baseball and history. Jack was a positive traveler.  We camped along the way and in group camping there is always something that happens. Jack pitched in and made camping for the rest of us easier. He was never lost in the woods. We were up in Lake Superiorfor two days and we were on the beach. I asked Jack if he ever swam in Lake Superior and he said no. It was the first time both of us were at the Lake. I talked into taking a plunge. We both dove into the water and came up faster than we dove. In that moment of time our brains froze and our bodies hit the water in shock. Both of were out of the water in seconds. Jack look at me in a state of shock and disbelief that I talked him into that experience. Years later we would laugh about it but he would shiver thinking of that moment. I may see the Lake again but I won’t go for a swim. Throughout my 40+ years knowing him we would compete and set each other up. We enjoyed the gift of gab and the times we travelled together we were in our favorite sport – conversation. Keep walking! I Know that jack put his faith in the Lord and today he is walking in a far better place.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Bill for your insite about Jack. Charlie and Pat Ellis are good friends of mine thru Grace Bible church. When first attending Grace, Charlie and I would always sit and talk together. I attended Pat's Sunday school class and enjoyed everything I could learn. She eventually got me to teach the class, which I considered a miracle. I was a very shy guy. We could all learn lessons from people like the Ellis's. God Bless Maurice

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net