Saturday, August 25, 2018

Setbacks visit us, how do we get off the mat

Setbacks are always a possibility. Setbacks never really make news.
They are discouraging and reflect badly on our desire for success. If I wasn't writing this blog I don't think I would share them. This week was going along and walking out of my bedroom wham a pinch nerve in my ankle and immediately I am on may way to the floor. Walking with CP there are years of coming down wrong with every step. It is inevitable that I will pinch the nerve and down I go. Most of my falls are when my step catches an unexpected crack and my body freezes or locks up. This type of fall I have almost illuminated  through careful use of cane and choosing not to walk in places where I might fall. At home I can control this. But the pinch nerve comes without warning. The best I have done with this was a foot insert that redirects the way my ankle moves as I walk. Two years ago the brace was thrown out with the shoe. My replacement doesn't do the same thing.
So ankle and knee pain I took a few days off. Towards the end of the week my recumbent bike comes to the rescue. Biking at low levels I was able to aerobically bike two sessions to finish the week with 154 minutes. The value of a week comes into play. My injuries could have been worse. I am still taking it easy on the walking part, but I stayed in the game.
Each of us can be laid up for a while which is discouraging. Sometimes we may be fighting something more serious but if we recover to move again.
With my legs hurting, I worked a little on upper body exercises. I also considered shadow boxing from a chair with a few kicks.
Rocky vs. Rached
Along these lines, I think a good end to the Rocky movies would be One Over the Cuckoo's Nest II. In this film Rocky takes on Nurse Ratched and her goons. Here Rocky from a life time of head blows has onset dementia. It looks bad for the champ, tied down to his bed daily undergoing so called therapy designed by the evil nurse herself. If you thought a lobotomy was bad wait until you see what  Rocky has to go through. Can he get up from the last bell?
Hopefully our recovery is less dramatic and painful. Setbacks from a walking or fitness program can give opportunity to other things while we mend. Despite the Cubs' broadcast being a half empty presentation, I have enjoyed the 40 comeback wins and the addition of Hammel and Murphy. The defense and winning attitude is fun to watch. The Cards and Brewers are fighting hard making the division one of the best. I don't know how it will end up but it has been fun. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net