Friday, August 10, 2018

Devotional key, pray back the scriptures

In my mail box was a daily devotion from Dr. Ken Boa. I found it help in my prayers this morning. I looked up different verses from bible.org Lumina study of the net Bible. It is a real gold mine for Bible study. Her are a few thoughts on how to personalize the scriptures.
Example:
I will guard my heart with all diligence, for out of it flow the issues of life.”
(Proverbs 4:23) Ken Boa
compare w Net Bible
“Guard your heart with all vigilance, for from it are the sources of life.”
The NKJV translates Prov. 4:23 this way,
“Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.”
Other translations use “wellspring”, “springs”, check the Scripture note below from the Net Bible which gives insight into the translator’s process in the work of translating.
Dr. Ken Boa has put together several prayer books where you pray back to God the scriptures using personal pronouns. His work is done with reference to the original languages of the Bible. This discipline is very helpful in praying.
You can do the same thing with any translation. The goal is to help and focus your prayer life with the
The starting point of the Jordan River at the foot of Mt.
Hermon. Water drinkable here. There is only one
woman looking at me here. She has eyes for me.
actual words God has given. In Boa’s translation of Prov. 4:23 if you drop “I will” you have the essential verse, “Guard my heart with all diligence, for out of it flow the issues of life.”
In prayer you have applied the thought for yourself in a meaningful way.
Try personalizing God’s word in your prayer life.
If you would like to see Dr. Boa’s work on this, google Dr. Ken Boa and go to his website. 
I have shared two notes from the Net Bible. The notes give you the mind of the translator working with this verse. Insights are cool. 
notes
Heart - tn Anatomically the Hebrew word לֵב (lev) refers to the “heart.” But abstractly it can refer to one’s inner self, will, understanding, or mind. They did not see the heart and mind in opposition, such that the advice here includes both one’s thinking and feelings. NB translation notes bible.org

Issues, sources - sn The word תּוֹצְאוֹת (totseʾot, from יָצָא, yatsaʾ) means “outgoings; extremities; sources.” It is used here for starting points, like a fountainhead, and so the translation “sources” works well. Keep walking and in this case keep praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net