Sunday, August 5, 2018

Moving along like a tumbleweed

Strength training this week was 15% of my work out minutes this week. This is an upward trend as I work in different strategies.
In Dr. Ken Cooper's Start Strong, Stay Strong he presents a case for the benefits of exercise to square off the curve of aging where we spend more time in health then we do in disease and decline. There will always be things we can't control, but he suggest we can control about 66% of the things that effect our health.
7th week
Dr. Cooper suggests that 50% of our exercise should be aerobic no matter what age we are. All of his life he was into aerobics but research led him to make changes in his exercise routines. His guide line is 60% aerobic and 40% strength training. There is a blend of strength in aerobic training. There is no question weight bearing exercise is part of the strength program. So when I change the resistance in my recumbent bike I am increasing the strength my abs to lower body. When I am climbing stairs, walking I am strengthening my muscles to move. So while I know I am increasing my strength program the aerobic training has been helping.
I hope I am encouraging you to not give up. The government study I cited below is a review of many studies on strength training and seniors. They cited only 10-15% of seniors are actually doing any kind of work out. It may be true active seniors use their muscles in work and hobbies. We need to include those activities with their health benefits. I like to use step conversions or calorie estimates of the things we do. They count.
If we do not work at it, we may not be adding enough muscle to our body to maintain an independent life. A thin person who is inactive may be close to the weight they had when they were younger but as we age more of the weight is fat and less of it is muscle. Their health could be in danger. I know as the fat man I have to work on it.
When you develop your fitness program there are so many ways to do it. It always starts with the reality of your health and your doctor's recommendation. The older you are the more you need to check out how seniors exercise.
For me the process is slow. This week I took breaks in my circuit training just to keep my heart rate in a healthy zone for me. During the breaks my heart was still working. In my strength movements I had to slow down because I was maxing out. Each exercise has its own limit. This was my 7th week, but I still and maybe always have to be in touch with what my body is doing. Progress is measured in months and not weeks like it did when I was younger.
An indoor recumbent bike is quite a tool for senior fitness. Different levels of fitness bands are also
Different colors different resistence
good tools. Body weight exercises that can be adopted for your fitness levels are helpful. Training with senior fitness people going at your own pace helps with the proper approaches. If you are in your 80's short brief walks can be very helpful. I am coming to believe the best thing I can pass on is not do what I do, but know there are many things you can do that is good for you.
I have a long way to go for better fitness. I am not there yet it is cool that I am working on it. Keep walking
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3117172/pdf/Dtsch_Arztebl_Int-108-0359.pdf
https://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/strength-resistance-training-seniors.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net