Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Pessimism may be good for you

Every once in while I come across an article in which it really intrigues me. Such was an article that I found in Wall Street Journal today, A Perfect dose of Pessimism; A negative outlook at times can help you managing anxiety and stay healthyhttp://online.wsj.com/articles/a-perfect-dose-of-pessimism-1407196064?mg=id-wsj
Working in education most of my life I don't think I was ever encouraged to be pessimistic. Usually presenters share very optimistic plan that will solve all evils. You put the plan in action and in five years later the problems still exist. Most people were encouraged to smile, to be positive and that's not really wrong. I think we worked better if we're a little more optimistic about things. Saying all this I know for sure that there were people that I worked with were very pessimistic and negative. If you listen to the scuttlebutt at work you didn't want to be around these people. 
But being 25% or 30% pessimistic can be very good for you. Again back to work, it may lead to good questions and concerns. After working through about six 5 year plans and changes that eliminate problems or are usually reword them or recategorized. When you look at it the problem is still there. The problem it self is the reason for teaching to begin with. It's why we have a job. Working to get better though is a good idea. 
Optimistic people tend to take chances and being risk-takers can be hazardous to your health. If you're too Pollyanna or positive you may not look at things when they go wrong. Pessimistic people tend to be people check things out and by doing so that keeps them alive. So the researchers of the article suggests a 70 optimistic-30 pessimistic% ratio. If you have this balance going on you will actually live longer. So let me read you the first to say to you today it's okay to be a little pessimistic. 
Have you ever felt like you were somewhere where you were always supposed to smile? I like to think of it as slaphappy. It is totally unrealistic with our human emotions being what they are for own survival. 
People often think this way when I think of God being love, but that it's not giving God any credit for not disapproving all the idiot things we do. I'm big fan of grace, acceptance, and love; but I'm also very thankful that God is there to point out things I need to change or may even be unacceptable. 
One thing about social media there is a lot of crazy stuff posted. I seen a picture of a mother point a gun at her infant, probably thinking it's funny. For me I wish I never saw the picture. I could live my whole life without seeing it with no regrets. I am glad with my response for every bit of my pessimism about that craziness. 
Leaving the insane, when it comes to work, health, being 30% pessimistic can be a good thing. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net