Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Always adjustments

Today I'm drawing upon things I've learned about walking. I have broken out my walking today in three 10 minute segments. This is given my back time to stay loose as I walk to an aerobic pace. In between my walks I have done my old man exercises and several exercises with suspension training. Working on the computer I get up several times an hour and move around. Right now I'm standing as I dictate this note. There's been a lot of attention lately in health literature about the benefits of standing over sitting and with the dictation software that came with my computer I'm able to write while standing. 
All these little behaviors actually benefit our health. This time of year is when we start thinking about driving to see the fall colors. If you have to go some distance take regular breaks from the ride and get out for just a little walk using your muscles get your blood moving. When you're sitting in the car or driving in the car and you're in cruise control move your feet and do toe raises, wiggling your toes, and heel raises. This is also good when you're riding in a plane. Helping move your blood to your extremities may help you not develop a clot. I know the little walks help us to stay alert while we're driving and helps a little gray cells as well. Walking helps rebuild the brain better than crossword puzzles. Walking can also help people delay the onset of diseases related to older age. For years I known the benefits of walking in relationship to stretching out my muscles. When I used to play tennis people who know me could see that I was getting more flexible. Regular walking can delay the baby steps we take when we get older. I see this all the time on the trail of people who walk regularly. They take nice long strides being in their 70s and 80s. 
Walking outside with my cane is helping. It has been a while since I have fallen. I am almost scared to tell you this because it seems like when I do, pretty soon I fall. But the strategy behind the cane is not for bearing weight but for giving me that extra point of balance. I think it also makes me just little bit more mindful to mentally pick up my feet. I can recall my father telling me that when I was just a wee lad. Walking though has its own natural pace and I really can't stay conscious every step of it. I mean there's a blue sky, the green grass and trees, the flowers, the birds, and cute girls to notice. But as I flow along with the cane, it is there to help me when my foot catches. In my mind I am Sherlock Holmes and Watson with the game afoot. As I walk the uneven ground in the frisbee golf course or park again definitely supports me very well. There is a timing to it and like a walking stick on a nature trail in a state park or national Park is very helpful. 

I hope in the cooler temperatures of fall you find time to take your walks. Short walks, 30 minute walks or even more are all good. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net