Monday, September 29, 2014

Bike station at computer

I'm always on the lookout for another way to move as I work on the computer. As I reheat my 2 cups of coffee in the microwave for one minute each, I go through six old man workout moves using the kitchen counter.
  • Push-ups 
  • Dips 
  • heel raises 
  • Lunges 
  • Side lunges 
  • Squats 
Three days a week I have my suspension training connected to my door and I did two sets of push-ups, curls, triceps, pull-ups, squats, and there is three different types of squats I can do. 
On the days I do my strength-training I have several tools to use. The one that I use most consistently is my resistant bands. And there is about 12 strength-training moves duplicating moves at the gym. 
Five days a week I do at least right now three 10 minute walks that are either indoor walking with Leslie Sansone or I walked outdoors. My next step with my walking will be one of the 10 minutes I will walk for 20 minutes. But I think I will keep the other two 10 minutes walks. In 12 weeks my 20 minute walk will expand into a 30 minute walk. You can see if I add up all the little ways I move it is more than an hour a day. 
Chores like doing the dishes, vacuuming and in the winter using the snowblower are other ways to keep moving. I've been a little bit lazy and I need to include the laundry in this. By adding a few flights of stairs it will be all the better. 
I bought a portable biking device that I can turn into a recumbent as I work on the computer. I just listen to a sermon by Pastor Lutzer up at Moody Church in Chicago that went about 35 minutes. I biked for 31 minutes that put three thousand steps on my pedometer. It felt like easy biking you do when you got your bike in gear and your feet is moving along at a steady pace. I read about using this tool at the computer station to help movement while you work. Blood circulation, calories burnt, breathing deeper all boost your health. The device can also be used by the arms. You can rehab hand, wrist, arm and shoulder injuries with it. When I was in rehab I would go three minutes in one direction and I would go to three minutes in the other direction. Upper body movements also are used in cardiac rehab. If you have heart issues check with your doctor.
I will update you on how I use it. I know it's one more way to reach a goal of 10,000 steps a day. In the wintertime we can use all the little help we can get to keep moving. 
Keep in mind the principles as we get older to be involved with aerobic training, strength training (this actually increases as we age) and flexibility. I was just reading Wayne Styles blog on accountability. He has a small group bible study with men and he lists 10 questions to help in the Christian life. 

Two questions from the list, #5 Have you done your hundred percent best in your job, school, or retirement? With #8 have you taken care of your body through regular physical exercise and proper eating and sleeping? When we retire or as we age we need to give ourselves time to exercise. Because we are at the age we are now it is time to eat a healthy diet that is heart friendly. There is more and more written about sleeping today and how it is connected to our health. How do we do our best in retirement? I know that's more than physical fitness but for right fitness now that is part of retirement. (other responsibilities may include how we live, being involved with others, make people our business, spiritual vitality and life, engaging hobbies etc.) The choice here relates to how we feel and are we able to stay independent. Moving, walking, adaptive strength training all help us with arthritis, our heart and brain and lungs. However long we live it is a life better served. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net