Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Robin Williams lost to depression, encourages us to not be blue senior.

Robin Williams 1951-2014
In the world of depression and the many forms it takes at stake is a battle for one life at a time. Just yesterday we learned of the death of Robin Williams, age 63 from a suicide. I hope the police do a thorough investigation to be accurate on the cause of death of this great actor. 
I actually thought this about Robin, I would love to have met him not for an autograph or a picture, but just say thanks to someone who I come to believe is nice guy. But in the world of celebrity I can see how that wish multiplied by millions of has its own problems. I will continue to watch his work for years to come. That's the magic of film.
In a recent blog I wrote of depressions affecting 25% of us at the age of 63. I was initially thinking of depression on setting due to aging. The factors of depression can also be going on for a long time as we see here with Mr. Williams. Isn't it amazing this amazing talent with so many wonderful performances has struggled with his worth. Throwing problems with alcohol and drugs this problem with depression accelerates. The lies of depression become believable. How did aging factor into this attempt that ended his life? 
I hope this story doesn't become another chapter of Hollywood going dark. For me this is a story that's bigger, more human that touches all of us. It is not just actors, but people of any profession or talent who may struggle with self-worth, high expectations and I believe that, “I'm failing and whatever it is it's not good enough”. There is a lie in depression that distorts reality. When I was depressed all I heard was I failed, my career wasn't good enough, I couldn't do enough for my kids, I failed in my ministry, I disappointed my wife, my life wasn't worth living. Now listen very carefully to what I'm saying, everything I thought about at that time was wrong. The truth was I was well-liked at work and just about every kid that I work with benefited by me being there. Both of my kids accepted me and told me how I was always there for them and despite my thinking, I was a good dad. In my ministry there was a long line of kids walking with the Lord today and I was part of that. My wife being straightforward told me, “This isn’t who you are. You are not a failure.” In fact it was my son and my wife who intervene to win the argument that I should go for help. 
In the following weeks I learned how depression works and how to confront the lies of depression. I began getting better weeks before the medicine would kick in by just applying to therapy I was learning. It would take work but at stake was my very life. I was considering suicide which was a very real thought for me back then. 
The lies of depression can interpret what we read, think and feel but, I know that God didn't think this way. I was “accepted in the beloved” Ephesians 1:6. My devotions in the hospital were simple and clear. There was no need to pray over and over, I would pray once and then leave it in the hands of the one who loves me. At the time I would perseverate experiencing anxiety attacks. In the next five years I participated in treatment and therapy in which I made a recovery from depression and I am able to control my anxiety. In fact right now my anxiety rarely occurs. 
I am sure that they'll be a lot of sensational stories come out about Robin Williams. I think he was a good guy, always made me laugh or think. I am sorry that depression won in his life. It is part of a big issue where 25% of us at age 63 and over battle with depression. Don't believe the lie of it, you can fight it. You don't need drugs or booze to deal with it, it can be treated and we are a long way from “one flew over the cuckoo nest”. Don't be a blue senior, look into the best treatment options that can help you. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net