Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Up to 10 minutes now, it ain't pretty

I made my first 10 minute indoor jog in a few years. Running in place with a workout design for 26 minutes. Every 30 seconds is a body strength move like a squat, push up, side steps. Halfway through I did a stretch, and every minute I went for a run through the house. Now I have to admit that my jog what's more like a slog. No matter what it make look like I was able to take deep breaths throughout and my recovery took less than a minute. In about a half hour I'll take my bike ride. My goal in the summer is to be able to do 20 minute runs. 
Every other day I do my strength moves with dumbbells, TRX, or bands. Those of you who are getting older like me look into the bands. They vary with all types of resistance. You can start with light resistance for many exercises; but there are several exercises that you can do with a little more resistance. Using a bad with a squat can use resistance. In time, your lightweight band can be used for exercises to help your rotator cuff and you can move up a level with your curls or presses. Follow your doctor's orders, look into senior fitness training to how you can challenge yourself.
I am taking my time on running but I'm also moving forward as well. I can do the same program with indoor walking; but I would consider short bursts of running intervals. Either way I have to pay attention to what my body is telling me and if necessary slow down to get my heart rate in a healthy range. It's different when we are older. 
Jessica Smith has online programs for running. For me it
means no falls. Hurrah!
Actually when I reach my 20 minute goal, I may switch over to a walking program with the goal of doing aerobic walking 40 minutes. I tried this before but my back did not do well. Indoor biking helped to get me moving. In such a program I can speed up my walk for aerobic intervals and even run movements. In-home walking programs can also work on balance. I maybe moving ahead of myself right now because it is work to do this.

One thing that I've noticed from today's run how it improves blood circulation. In our senior years, daily walking or exercise goes right to our fight to build our immune system and improve her blood sugar, help keep our arteries clear and gives this muscle and bone to help us stay more independent. It may never be easy, challenges grow like tomatoes in summer. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net