Friday, July 8, 2016

Confessions of a putter

"Make sure that God is in the center of everything you pursue today." Wayne Styles
Sometimes, more often than not, “Billy" (myself, not my son) I am more of a putzer. I move from one activity to another.  To be honest God isn't to far from my thoughts except when I am focused on this or that. I think God made us this way. Putzing is a way of wondering. 
Following, ferreting, seeking some interest is something I do pretty good. Such may interest no one but myself. 
It is good to read a line like what Wayne writes to break through the putzing to refocus a few moments asking what would God want me to do? Now don't assume God is against the putzing? It may be part of something God has for us. But it is also true God really wants to interrupt the putzing because it may be a waste of time. I have done this a few times. 
In the movie Dead Poets Society Robin Williams will be remembered much longer for his line, “Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary.” In the film there are many lines of poetry where the boys are trying to live to the ideals of the poets. Sometimes the poets hit a home-run and sometimes they give us a red herring. Making the most of one’s day maybe in part what happens when we put God the center our lives. 
There is at least another element that is involved. Refocusing our mind on what is important, yes but putting God at the center also refocuses our mind on Him and opens up the door to his purposes. Now in the context of the Dead Poets Society this isn't what they really had in mind. For them the focus was human and not divine. When we re-center on God we don't have to worry that are human concerns will be ignored because he made us who we are. Again I go back to putzing maybe what God wants us to do at times. Now we are also including at the forefront God's perspective. Thought up on thought we put it into our lives principals that will bring full meaning into the phrase “seized today”.
Do you remember the story of Mary and Martha? Because of Jesus temporary stay in human terms, His teaching what's the thing to be seized at that time. Mary normally would have worked along side her sister in caring for the guests, but she chose instead to listen to Jesus teach. Wouldn’t you love to be able to listen to 20 minutes of Jesus teaching? My self I could listen for hours, if I only knew Aramaic. Preparing a meal, housework all good activities were a distraction at that time. Martha worried and concerned missed a great opportunity of listening to God. She knew the language. Jesus broke into her busy world, “only one thing is necessary,” "Make sure that God is in the center of everything you pursue today.”, rings true. 

As a putzer it is good for me to grasp something from God everyday. This is especially true since putzing can be a very self-centered activity. Whether is done in the kitchen like Martha or on the computer like me weekend mess what could be entirely the most important very easily. Putzing can make us unaware of the most human of relationships. Face to face encounters that are 10 times more important. And what is true up people is true of God as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net