Sunday, June 5, 2016

Bad day on the court.

The old boy looking good. My team was international The US,
India, France, Viet Nam, France, Mexico. I would learn to coach,
but this year I was learning. These kids would have been champs
otherwise. Very good players.
I have follow professional sports all my life. Overtime I am seeing my favorite players going strong and then starting to decline somewhere between 34 and 40. There is so much money in sports that athletes after into science and medicine in an attempt to extend their careers. Overall they have improve their performance to have the ability to play a year we're too longer. Regardless of the effort age kicks in and they lose their ability to play at a high-level. Rising stars soon takeover.
A sport that I picked up and played was tennis. I was never great at it but I love the game. If you like a game where it is just you against an opponent, the wind, the net, boundaries and fitness level tennis is a great game.
Well I'm out on the courts with my son who has come into his own with the game. I knew going that I was done with a competing effort. I hit the ball okay, but the side movement I was totally out of balance. For me it took on a scary experience. A big part of it is out of balance, too top-heavy order be specific too fat. So I’m retired from the game. If I do some serious weight loss, maybe it would be worth working on the balance or I may find my balance is gone. 
Jimmy Connors was a great competitor but he has since undergone various joint surgeries. After his career he is completed in senior events, but now chooses not to play. He remembers how he used to play and he doesn't like the pain and performance in his aging body. So he left the game and is moved on his life.
I know that I can never play the games the way  I used to with the reckless abandonment. And now I seriously think that I can play the game at all. A local doctor was playing in his 70s and fell backwards in his head which resulted in serious impairment.
We can never guarantee our safety or go through life without risk. We live it and hopefully survive our accidents, and move on is best we can.
What can I take away from this experience?
It gives support to the necessary idea to keep moving. Thank God I have a recumbent bike, but I also have to make strides to use in-home walking to build up my movement and challenge my balance.
It is just one more motivation keep my weight loss going down.
It's a good time to give my son my training equipment in tennis so that he can train his children. 

I took a day to say goodbye to tennis. There is no sense in getting into a bad mood about it. There are plenty of things to move on with. Loss is probably the biggest issue in aging. It's a big deal to lose something, but we have to keep growing, finding new things to love, new friends, new interests. What is something that you lost because of aging? What did you find the best way to get through it? I think it helps remind full I'm going through this with little things saw that we get a handle on it when we lose something big. Keep walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net