Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Beat the heat...thinking outside the box...freeze underwear

I was reading some articles Gretchen Reynolds of the New York Times. Summertime is upon us and we may find yourselves outside in the heat. I was reading where a heat stroke is caused by our core temperature in our bodies being raised. The problem comes when we heat up quicker than waiting get rid of the heat. There is a bit of uncertainty about this but the temperature rises in our bodies 2° for every five minutes. If the body temperature does not cool itself down when our core temperature gets to be about an 105° we are in serious trouble. 
For athletes the problem comes when they are not used to the heat their bodies are ready to handle it yet. They can be hydrated but it may not be enough. 
When I lived in Africa my mentor Louie Orta recommended drinking hot coffee. He swore by it it that it helped him stay cool. Have been water that has been boiled will help you a lot in tropical Africa and prevent a lot of things I can give you fever. 
One day it was 105° and I was outside all day at a pool party. I jumped in the pool with my swim suit and T-shirt and went sat under a tree and when my T-shirt dried I went back and jumped in the pool again. With the cooler filled with cold drinks it was a good day. The wet T-shirt made all the difference in world.
When I was coaching tennis the athletes where in shape but they were not ready for the first hot day. They would be hydrated, bananas etc. but their bodies were not used to get rid of the heat yet. In the middle of summer they would be able to handle hot more heat because by that time their bodies got used to it. 
In Gretchen's articles she gives several ideas to cool down if you're working out in the heat. My experiences with slushes are head busters. The roof from your mouth gets very cold and your brain reacts with intense pain. You immediately remember the many times you've done this and have never learn to slow down. If you do slow it down if can lower temperature. Pouring water over your head and when your T-shirt may also help to cool down your core. Wearing frozen underwear may also help you stay cool little race a little while longer. 
I thought was funny. But if you do feel dizzy, heated, take time to slow down and get to a shaded area. Douce your head and body with water. As it evaporates your core temperature may start to cool down. 
Many of you race or walk during the summer. As you work on your principles of hydration and training it deal with keeping your core temperature healthy in competition. If you tried frozen underwear let me know what what you think. Now I know you laughed at that. Keep walking
Check out for yourself PS. barb thought I flipped with this one.


http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/slushies-vs-frozen-underwear-for-hot-weather-workouts/?em_pos=medium&emc=edit_hh_20160621&nl=well&nl_art=3&nlid=66362823&ref=headline&te=1 


http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/lessons-from-exercising-in-the-heat/?em_pos=medium&emc=edit_hh_20160621&nl=well&nl_art=1&nlid=66362823&ref=headline&te=1

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net