Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Reading the Daniel Plan

Pastor Rick Warren has written a book called the Daniel plan. It is loosely based on a story from Daniel 1:8-16 that you can read here.
8 Daniel determined that he would not defile himself with the king's food or with the wine he drank. So he asked permission from the chief official not to defile himself. 9 God had granted Daniel favor and compassion from the chief official, 10 yet he said to Daniel, “My lord the king assigned your food and drink. I'm afraid of what would happen if he saw your faces looking thinner than those of the other young men your age. You would endanger my life with the king.” 11 So Daniel said to the guard whom the chief official had assigned to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, 12 “Please test your servants for 10 days. Let us be given vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then examine our appearance and the appearance of the young men who are eating the king's food, and deal with your servants based on what you see.” 14 He agreed with them about this and tested them for 10 days. 15 At the end of 10 days they looked better and healthier than all the young men who were eating the king's food. 16 So the guard continued to remove their food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables. HCSB
Mr. Warren baptizing a huge number people realized there his congregation was fat. Not only were they overweight but he was too. The following week he confesses his sin of over eating for 30 years and decided he wanted to make a change. He asked his congregation if they like to join him in making changes for their help. He consultants fitness experts and shared a study what the Bible says about health. I bought the book about ago and I'm now getting around to read it. I will share my review when I'm done. Right off the bat I think it's a good idea to develop a theology of the body. In the same way I think it's a good idea to get a science of the body. When it comes to health there are a lot of information out there and people were willing to scam for many gimmicks. So far what I have read of the Daniel plan it is a good study. 
Since the book was written, Mr. Warren has had his own setbacks. His son committed suicide and in his grief, he regained his weight back. He has gotten back on track since then. That is one thing I've noticed in changing health lifestyles. Life happens and with its heart aches those in recovery, will often revert back to their past behaviors. When you look at people who have lost weight; they often gain it back. Health is not a short-term proposition; health is lifelong no matter what the challenges.
Pastor Warren and his people have developed a good website to encourage people in our health. I think you can check it out in making lifestyle changes that can help your health.
In my own recovery from injuries last year I have rebooted my walking program. It seems like every day I'm making progress. In this last year I am developed different body exercises that with the use resistance bands, suspension training and body weight exercises that I think made a difference. 
It is really easy for me to be sedimentary but in the last year there is been a lot written to support people to move throughout the day. In the Daniel plan if you have a job or sit around too much at home, one idea I looked at today was to use your smart phone to set alarm once an hour to do two-minute bursts of different movements. Along with a walk every day and the work out that adds up to about 150 minutes a week you can really improve your health.
Using the things of life like chores, cooking, yard work, doing the dishes, laundry, walking up-and-down stairs throughout the day can be a lifesaver.

Deciding and acting on health information can turn into successful living. I think it's just as easy to not act on things and continue where our bad habits get the better of us. Guilt doesn't really help long-term change. Speaking of which it is time for me to take a walk. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net