Friday, December 9, 2011

Working through the cold and flu season to better health

 I was reading Wayne Styles blog, (a great site if you are interested in how the land of Israel adds an important layer to our understanding of the Bible,) and he was talking about learning that kidney stones happen because of dehydration. Because of the pain experienced he is now converted  to the benefits of hydration to prevent another stone passing. Water is life in an arid place like Israel and as we learn 8 glasses a day is great for our body. Check out the link below.
http://waynestiles.blogspot.com/

In our household we have shared various flu bugs and cold this fall and it has taken awhile to get better. Is it because we are older? Could be. When you are sick for awhile it makes you get back to basics. Plenty of sleep, plenty of fluids and plenty of prayers. Since I have a generalized anxiety disorder I have been thinking about worry that comes with cold and flu that it will turn into illnesses that are more serious, like pneumonia or complications that effect the heart or lungs. Doom and gloom hinders getting better but as we age the risk is there. Read the obits and it gets a little real. Behind it all we fear death.

Right now I am sick of coughing and blowing my nose. I already had a stomach virus that made me sick of other things. My month long battle has put me in touch with people who have chronic health issues. I know what it is like to have eye problems and problems due to CP. These things won't go away. But we can have other health problems that are difficult to deal with. Apostle Paul wrote, "Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day." NKJV 4:16 Now I am not writing that I am dying but I am older. But I want to do things that strengthen the body and improve health for the time I have left. The inward man being renewed I think may give an edge to rebuilding the immune system and restoring health. I admit it is easy to worry and throw a pity party when these bugs hit us and hang on. But I believe it is better to trust sleep to do its magic and nutrition to do its part and trust in God's care as these things work through the body.

Wayne's kidney stone cause great pain. I hated when my digestive system went haywire and now my respiratory system has problems. What are you dealing with? As long as we are in the land of the living, our living has purpose. I lived almost 60 years and it goes by quickly. Soon I will be with the Lord. How soon? 20, 15, 10, 5 years I don't know but there is living and loving to be done and I know walking will help. When we are really sick walking has to wait and that is OK. When we recover our joy will be for one thing we can move again. Won't that feel good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net