Wednesday, May 8, 2019

It is early in the game but it is working

Hopefully one day I will be back at the
weight in this picture, by mid summer
I will be halfway there.
Todays ago I weighed in and I have lost 6 pounds. The app MyNetDiary is working. Most days I am below my calorie goal. The information feedback I'm helping me make decisions. That is almost 2% of my body weight. OK, I am still early with this idea. What I really like is the control it gives me to help me make decisions both what to eat and when to say no. Because of the app, I chose certain foods to be within the limits set. At Arby's, I chose a classic beef because the calorie count was 360, at Boston market I chose mash potatoes with no gravy and saved a few hundred calories.
At home, I am more likely to stay within one serving. The app told me to pick up more calories at breakfast. At night I know I can't do the night runs through the kitchen. It is rewarding knowing what I did on my eating that day I am losing weight without having to check the scales.
Another change I am working at is to be awake more in the daytime and sleep more at night. I want to experience more of the warmer part of the year up and around. More time to bike outdoors and sunshine. I think I will move as well. The more movement greater the weight loss.
can we lose weight healthily when we are older? That is what I want to find out.
Today I will strength train with bands, body exercises, dumbells, and TRX.  I can only imagine if I
lose weight I will look like a prune. I want to retain my muscle. Muscle is harder to develop as we age. Our ability to grow muscle is slower than when we were younger. With work, we can grow muscle at about 10 to 20% of what we used to. That is our new reality, but the good news is we can grow muscle. We knew we could slow down the decline, but new research suggests we can grow muscle if we work at it.
It is widely recommended that we strength train 2x's a week. Dr. Ken Cooper realized he had to change the % of exercise to more strength training over aerobics. This has influenced me to spend more time with resistance training. Feel good about it if you follow the recommended guidelines of twice a week. 150 minutes a week of walking, the exercise of all kinds is a very doable number for most of us. You and your doctor know what is right for you. Any kind of exercise can help our weight loss. Considering my weight I burned 200 calories in my 16 minutes of resistant training. If I factor in my 30 minutes of biking on recumbent which will add 285 cal. to my day. That is 46 minutes of exercise of the 150 I need for the week. My heart is purring.
My confidence in taking off the weight becomes a real thing. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net