Monday, January 1, 2018

New Year's resolutions from the fat man

Resolutions for the most part are thought of then practically forgotten. It is hard to be guilty what you forget about. So this year, 2018, what do I resolved to do this year? In attempt to make it meaningful resolutions point to something of change in particular, shortcomings, needs, experiences from last year seeking a better action, feeling, result or thought. 
My recent experience in the hospital has strengthen my resolve to bring my weight down to help the swelling that occurs in my right leg where the cerebral palsy has affected it more. I have since purchased compression socks that seem to really be helping it. Right on cue I did half an hour of aerobic biking this morning to get the blood pumping early. If I can repeat this behavior five times a week it should help. In keeping with this I am been resolute already to improve my aerobic capacity 15 to 18%. It helps weight loss to be more active, weight loss is 90% of diet. 
Recent research that I am done points to the very difficulty of losing weight. I have come to the conclusion that it is harder
"Sunshine on my shoulder makes me happy"
then willpower, programs, or the growing industry to address being overweight. My own difficulties have showed me  that it's hard. My observations of others show most people that are overweight remain overweight and those who lose put it back on. And as we get older it seems fat replaces muscle, which can put thinner people in more of a health risk. It seems most of us as we get older put on the put on the pounds.
In the face of this difficulty to lose weight I want to work at strategies that will help me bring my weight down. On the BIM chart I first want to hit of objective of 7 lbs loss. If I hit 4 7 lbs losses I will be out of the morbid obese class to the obese class. Now that seems like a noble goal or resolution for the year. But it starts with the first 7 lbs. If I don't reach first goal, it would be pure fantasy and magical thinking for me to reach a normal BMI. 
In the face of what seems like impossible goals there is a silver lining. Our attempts to eat a heart healthy diet, to reach 150 minutes of exercise per week, our efforts to improve our sleep, deal with stress all make a difference just in the attempt. By making an effort to do these things we are healthier for it even if we fall short.

The good news, we made it to 2018, we are alive. Thank you Lord.  It is -8ยบ below, but sunny. My indoor plants have flowers on them and the sunshine is on my skin. Barbara and iron going to enjoy a delicious lunch together and watch a movie. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net