Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Seniors helping seniors in fitness challenges

In the Washington Post Tara Bahrampour reported a story of an 80-year-old personal trainer for 17 years, a retired Army colonel Lawrence Dawson teaching aging clients how to stay in fighting shape. Using the training he had in the army and his own fitness routines he looks nowhere near his age. Most of his clients are retired themselves. Together they face the problems of aging but work towards a vigorous work out that would challenge people half their age. 
When we retire we all have a need to stay active and moving. Social relationships can keep us in the game. Getting out with friends can help with short walks that literally can be with doctor orders when we are in our 80s. Probably guys come a little short on social outings that will help them stay active.
This months newsletter from the Daniel plan, Krista Strykar share six reasons why exercise makes you happy. Exercise hel
Col. Lawrence Dawson
ps release neurotransmitters that helped her mood to be happy. Exercise has been known to help relieve stress and anxiety. Barbara always tells me how a walk energizes her. No matter how we really look when we exercise it boost our confidence. Sleeping often becomes more difficult as we age an exercise helps.
Getting the most out of life as we age we have to pay attention to spiritual, social, physical and mental care. Physically exercising for our heart and strength training with flexibility can give it purpose in our exercise. I've been a good little boy last few weeks with daily biking 20 to 30 minutes. As I am constantly changing my biking resistance every 2 to 4 minutes. My higher resistance biking I have been able to move two levels higher. Listening to an audiobook the time flies. All of my life after I warm-up it is easier to move in my mind what's started I was a 20 minute stroll on a bike turns into a 30 minute workout. I literally can see it improve circulation. 
Colonel Dawson, uses hearing aids and has adopted changes in how he plays racquetball with joint problems. Because of a lifetime falling (CP) I am making the transition from walking to biking. Adopting our fitness routines to fit us I think it is a big idea. The effort will improve the quality of our life and will help us fight every challenge to our health. Keep walking

http://danielplan.com/blogs/dp/6-reasons-why-exercise-makes-you-happy/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2017/04/19/this-super-fit-80-year-old-personal-trainer-is-teaching-his-aging-clients-how-to-stay-in-fighting-shape/?utm_term=.cff21b495109&wpisrc=nl_lean&wpmm=1

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net