Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Weightloss is hard work, no doubt about it

I am come to the conclusion that I am no expert when it comes to losing weight. My experience, research has indicated to me that is harder then I thought. Most people who are heavy may at times lose weight only at some point in the future put it back on. It can become very discouraging. 
In this sense, a weight problem is more like diabetes than a broken bone. Weight problems tends to be chronic. Often fat issues become other issues like diabetes. We may have been active and carry weight all of our lives with very little problems. But as we age this may change. Our health problems with overweight can move into various areas such is our cardiovascular health, certain cancers, mobility, and take on metabolic problems and inflammation. 
Most this stuff you may know. But looking at obesity, being overweight as a chronic and life long problem shows the need to adapt strategies that will be more successful. 
This is where I am no expert. I haven’t been able to do this yet. I lost 60 lbs. and life threw a couple curveballs I couldn’t hit,  the weight returned. Add on injury and having CP and walking (my lifelong friend) became difficult. I have been honest about this but not good enough to pull off positive results. 
Losing weight is no easy problem.   
“Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;” Shakespeare
Jon Treloar put it this way:
Once more into the Fray...
Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
Live and Die on this day...
Live and die on this day... 
For me to turn the page moving to a better place I will need to be:
  • Consistent - Consistency has to start somewhere. Anyone with a weight problem can sing the song of woe about the many times we lose this. The book of Lamentations shares:
  • Because of the Lord’s faithful love we do not perish, [does not perish] (We don’t give up, Reeves paraphrase) for His mercies never end. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness!
Consistency in health is a good habit. We can develop a good habit in about five months according to Dr. Cooper. Are you willing to start a new habit?

  • Whatever diet you decide is good for you, it is about 80 to 90% of the real work that I will have to do to lose weight. There is always the motivation of looking better, but I know improving the way I live will help me to do the hard work that it really is. A heart healthy diet seems to be at the core of this.
Right now I am dividing my evening meal into two meals and going back to dividing meals I have out. 

  • Exercise changes as we get older. We need to move it over lose it. Daily aerobic activity such as walking, running, biking, swimming may at first be just a goal to get started; but as we develop the skill it can be a key part of cleaning arteries, helping our inflammation and pain, and help us to maintain our ability to live like we want. Strength training helps us slow down muscle loss. We can still build muscle but we would have to be committed to a solid strength training routine for older adults. Keep in mind we build muscle more slowly as we age. Flexibility may come with movement, but as we get older we may benefit from stretching, yoga, pilates. It is worth looking at workout programs for seniors and as our abilities improve we can challenge ourselves. Exercise is very important to be in touch with your body and what your doctor thinks. For me I have moved from walking to biking.
The last two weeks I have been biking everyday. I will be getting bike scooter to go on outings and walks with Barb. The scooter has peddles for me to exercise. It comes apart for transport. I also have gotten my outdoor recumbent geared up as well. Biking has to be my walking. Keep walking 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net