Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I am a movie buff and sometimes it improves our walk

1932 Movie Box with Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy
One thing I discovered on vacation was how out of shape I am. Walking in the mountains is quite a bit different then walking in Illinois. We have a lot of rainy weather so we took advantage spending time in our cabin enjoying reading, one another, and the beautiful setting we were in.
It took a while to heal from some falls I had last winter and I'm now back motivated to push my aerobic walking. Taking my own advice I'm starting out slow doing 1 mile walks. Mixing in the strategy is short burst of bicycle riding.
Another thing I'm doing is writing down three things that I did that made my day better. On vacation I captured two more hours in the daylight and sleeping two more hours at night. I have one more hour to switch and I'm will be very happy with that. This will allow me more time to be creative in a daytime and get my internal clock to where most studies show it is more healthy.
http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-walks-music-box-steps-htmlstory.html
I came across an article from the LA Times of the location of the 1932 movie “Movie Box” starring Stan & Ollie. The article is titled. “Climb the Music Box Steps ... without the piano.” Google the movie because it's lots of laughs. Here the funny dual we're at their peak. In the late 20s and 30s they did some real funny stuff.
I started to think what would they think of that location being a hotspot for aerobic exercise
The stairs today encouraging others to walk
with the 132 stairs. Ollie wearing tighter clothes than he should looks fatter than he actually is. And the whole routine in the movie you can see he had a hard time doing. So anyway I took the old photograph and came up with the following cartoon.
I remember walking the stairs going up Diamond Head in Hawaii each set of stairs had over 90 stairs and it. That comes close to seven flights of stairs. The steps in the 1932 movie comes to about 10 flights of stairs. So if I were to do this today I would take a break and some of the landings to take photos and to appreciate the view. When I worked in JT I would take a flight of stairs and then walk a segment of the hallway and then take another flight of stairs. There were five flights of stairs to work with then I was able to do several times when I was on the wrestling team but like Ollie my body is changed. The stair climbing is good to do for long as you can do it. In the new LA Times article they outlined one and a half mile walk where you would go up and down and get a workout.

If you like going to national parks or state parks use your desire to motivate you daily walking. That is where I am right now so keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net