Thursday, October 2, 2014

Do you know the story of Bethany Hamilton?

Bethany Hamilton
I always like revisiting story that I have read about before. Bethany Hamilton I read about 8 years ago who 11 years ago was attacked by a shark and lost her left arm. She overcame her injury and return to competitive surfing. She is now 24 years old and she still competes. She has recently written a book, Body and Soul in which she reaches out to motivate young girls to live healthier lives. She leads by example and you can see the picture she maintains a fitness level and weight control. She hasn't allowed her loss of a limb to stop the disciplines of a professional athlete. 
She uses the suspension training that I've shared with you and you can see that she can modify to give her body a balanced strength workout that would directly relate to surfing. Can you imagine the coordination and strength it takes to get up on the board when you're catching a wave. I can't do it. I have used a bodyboard and I've been tossed around the California surf like a beached whale. 
My experience with the waves in California's is they are pretty strong. I experience a riptide that was taking me out to sea and it was cool to practice when I learned to swim parallel to the coast and then easily move back into the shore. A riptide isn't very wide but you can't swim directly back in. I am a strong swimmer and I could not directly swim against a riptide. You have to swim a little parallel 20 to 50 feet and then you get waves taking you back in. Every year there's people who drown because they trying to go directly against the current. The Pacific in California is a lot cooler than West Florida in the Gulf so Barb doesn't like going to water. I am trying to navigate the water with CP, Once I'm out A little deeper I'm okay but the waves by the shore they can be pretty strong. 
Bethany says she likes the suspension training because she can take it with her anywhere and she likes working outdoors. Check out a couple videos online about how people use this and remember you can always modify to fit your fitness level. Some people really are quite strong with it but we can use it regardless of our fitness level. Try to look at a couple videos of people who modified for themselves and you'll get the idea. 

Strength training is your program. No matter what tools you use there is away for you to strength training that helps you maintain or increase your strength no matter what your age. Bethany and myself demonstrate that suspension training or strength training can be modified to the disability. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net