Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Check up and getting fit

Today I see my doctor for my check up. We will go over health numbers and I hope my triglycerides have improved. I have been cutting back on carb intake. With my check up will come ideas for things to work on. We will also look at two injuries I have had that  that have slowed me down.
In the last three weeks I have been walking, biking, working, for 45 to 60 minutes. Some days I have done work 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there. It all adds up.
I have also been taking small exercise breaks for some time now. Usually a series of three movements, push-ups, squats, toes raises, lunges, side lunges, jumps 2 to 3 times a day, I am actually jumping higher. sit ups, crunches, hip raises, band workouts.
I have downloaded about 20 workout videos to give variety and with daily biking or walking I am working on my 30 minute cardio.  All of this is to break up sitting and keep the blood moving.
Three movements that have help me get off the floor easier are the core work, lunges, dips and push-ups.
The dynamic body moves are great for flexibility and managing pain. take a a look at how you can use your body weight to strengthen and give range of motion back. Everything I do is modified in some way. Lunges can be done from the counter as you one hand for balance. If both hands are needed use a study table or chair on the other side. Push-ups can be done from a wall, counter, stair, bench. Jumping can be done with one or two hands on the counter for support. Squats can be done off the bed or chair or your back against the walk. Dips can be modified using your legs to take the weight you need to put the right resistance for you. Using a exercise mat gives me practice getting off the floor. Resistance bands by their very nature can be custom to you.
Check with your doctor and maybe enlist a physical therapist to get you on your way.
Don't do something you can't,but look for things you can do. And always keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net