Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Remembering John Raymond Egly,

John Raymond Egly, 1929-2014
My father in law stands out as one who finished well. There is a long life, but one that was lived fully in light of physical injury and pain. He cared for others and enjoyed the blessings of life all the way to the end.  He was active in mind and wit and always encouraged others. 
The one thing that stands out with Ray was his ability to make others better. He was one of the most unique people that I have come across in my life. He had a strong sense of being a working guy, but that was just one layer. 
Ray was a fixer. He could and did just about fix anything that needed repair or building. He wasn't a putzer, no, he was a perfectionist. The work wasn't just put together; He made things better and he had an artistic flair to what he did. His home is a reflection of the can-do spirit all of his family had. They all had a hand in putting things into his home.
He was the chief electrician for Material Service for over 35 years.  I'm not sure that even describes his job as many things that he fixed were outside the world of electronics. He also used engineering, calculation and science with engine know how. How do you raise a barge that's been sunk and get it ready to work again? He could take a complicated problem and find a way to solve it right on sight. Immediately after the 1990 tornado, Bev was worried because she hadn’t heard from him. Switching on the news, there he was, on a front loader, assisting with the rescue operation.
There are many projects that he did for the grandkids and children show a long record of craftsmanship that he had. He loved to see historic places and furniture, to see how things were built. He was fascinated with the coal industry and geology at work. Like his brothers each took a great interest in the railroad and the engines and the mechanics that made it work.
He was well read and did his own analysis of life and news. In that sense I think he was a Renaissance man. He liked to travel and investigate family history and roots.
 
He lived his own story; he took interest in the story of his family. He loved the west, he loved going to England and later to Malta. Throughout his life he took many holidays with his bride and took along as many little people as they could.
He loved work because it was in him to make things better. When it comes to family I think that's exactly what he did. He wanted to improve the place where his family worshipped so he put himself into the task of helping to make Larkin Baptist a better place  to worship and know the Lord.  The building, currently Stone Hill Bible Church, is one of the most beautiful churches in Joliet. That was John Raymond. He thought worship was more than a gymnasium, or in a storefront.
That was just another layer of Bompa. He was a man of class and dignity. He was the most honest man that I have known in my life.
 
Ray was a man of faith. He taught me that faith isn't easy. People often talk as if faith is easy to do or believe, trust; but it isn't. To put your trust in Christ is an exceptional thing. He and I had great conversations and an ongoing dialogue about faith. Communicating his faith was hard and he would often ask Barb and I to share things with people. When he made decisions concerning faith, or service, or giving he did it with a whole heart.
I believed in his trapdoor theory on preaching, when it is time for the sermon to be done, it is time. He supported missions, and there is no doubt that what Barb and I did in Africa would not have been possible without his support. There were a lot of people who were helped and came to know the Lord as a result.
His humor was sharp and full of wit. He was good at recounting many of the family stories. He enjoyed the humor that was found in life. He had a twinkle in his eye and a smile that was very endearing.
I have a little experience here with the passing of my parents and other people in my life who have already gone to be with the Lord. Bompa, (thank you Becky for giving us that name), Dad, (or father) husband, friend will give hours a pleasant conversation for years to come. Maybe even a debate or two? We will continue to talk to him, will be sitting in our living room, or out in the backyard enjoying life underneath the shade trees. And his thoughts, conversations, directions and wisdom will enter into our minds and I just personally believe we will just end up talking to him again even before we go see him glory. I can't be the only one here who talks to people who has already passed on? It is rather fun to do.
Philippians 2:3-4 Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves. Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Romans 15:2 Each one of us must please his neighbor for his good to build him up." This is what you saw in his life. His faith was in action. What he did was for our good and benefit. He had purpose to make us better.
The other night I wish you could've been there when family and friends and were around him, sharing stories prayers and even songs. He would have shooed us off. Ray, has certainly given us a legacy and he is someone to aspire to be like in so many ways. He for sure has given us a lot of things that we will laugh about.  He has set a very high bar for us to follow to be a man, husband, dad, and grandfather who loved and was loved. For the women in his family he was both strong and caring that made it possible for them to blossom.


2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with Barb, Larry, you and the rest. It will be an exciting union one day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some 4 years ago I was to officiate at my father in law's funeral. Ray and Bev showed up that day before the funeral, I saw them went over and greeted them and ask if they knew my father in law. They told me they did not know my father in law but they saw that I was to speak and so they decided to come say hello to me. I said you must be kidding you came just to see me. That's when Ray told me that he was to be admitted to the hospital an hour later. He said you were one of my Sunday school kids when you were young and I just thought I'd stop by and say hello. So I concur with your words that he was an encourager, he encourage me just before I spoke that day. I appreciate his investment in my life as Sunday School kid. I will also say that was a friend to my dad and that means so much to me. So sorry for this loss to your family. How wonderful to know that because of Jesus that you will see Ray again. Blessings to the family from Clay Huey.

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net