Monday, April 14, 2014

Picture of Barb and where we had a honeymoon - Pt. 2 of secret disciple


Barb looking back as we walked the wall of Jerusalem, I can
tell you she walked closed to the wall. What a trooper!
John was the youngest, the rest being in their thirties, were able to follow Jesus, walk with him which included great distances.  Many of their walks were over 100 miles.  They had to sleep with him outside with just outer garment being their blankets.  It is not spelled out for us but I think each had their job as they move is a group.  Not everybody that became a disciple could follow the same task.  I think that’s true today, what I could do when I was younger I really can’t do today.  I would describe my life of faith as more than being a disciple.  Knowing what I do today and my study of the bible, for sure I would like to be able to do what the disciples did when they were here when Jesus was on earth.  To spend time with Jesus would be the dream come true.  But for practical concern I would be left behind.  I think Jesus would tell me I’ll be back this way, see you then.  When I was younger I wanted to volunteer in the navy, but with my CP I was disqualified.  I went to serve but my disability may prove a problem when it counted.  Instead I serve the Lord in Africa and lived in the jungles in under primitive conditions.  I did quite well there and today I am not so sure. That brings me to Joseph of Arimathea who is described as a good man, fair and a secret disciple, Luke 23:50, John 19:38.
We know that he stood up when it counted; he disagreed with the proceedings that put Jesus to the cross. 
Outside the church of the Holy Sepulcher another possible
location of Calvary and the tomb.
There is no record during the trials of his protest, only Luke 23: 51 reports his disapproval.  I am of the opinion that he wasn’t there during illegal trials of Jesus by Caiaphas and Annas and their supporters in the Sanhedrin.  Caiaphas has long plotted for Jesus’ death and I think they gathered the ones they needed for the illegal trial.  Whatever was a quorum for them I think that’s who they called on?  I also think they were politically aware not to invite members who were supporters of Jesus, and even if they were secret; I believe the wiles of Caiaphas and Annas knew how people would vote.  In the accounts I just don’t see the protest like you see in Acts 5: 34, anyway Scholar Leon Morris cites 22:70, "They all ask"
 Mark 14:64, "They all condemned" This brings us back to observation. All were in agreement at the Jewish trials. Nicodemus and Joseph and other sympathizers were not there. They did later voice their opposition, Luke 23: 51But they did far more than that; they cared for Jesus’ body.
19 century painting of 1st century Jerusalem-
What it may have looked liked.
Most criminals who were crucified their bodies were just discarded.  Yet once Jesus died, we see only loving hands cared for him.  Nicodemus and Joseph were given the task to take down his body.  The ugliness and shame of the crucifixion and the nakedness they would have to deal with.  Unlike the legalistic Pharisees of the day they took care of the dead body during the holy week the Passover.  They didn’t delegate this to others but they did it themselves.  They were willing to become unclean and deal with what was important rather than focus on the small minds of others.  They went ahead and put Jesus in linen, prepared the body with spices and place the body in a tomb that Joseph bought for himself.  Despite various claims as to where this body was laid, we don’t know.  After caring for the body, they sealed the tomb by rolling the fitted stone into place.
These old men were leaders who forever in history will stand out because they stood up and did the right
This is where Barb and I had one week of our honeymoon. The sisters of the
Rosary served us wonderful meals and they were delighted we had our
honey moon there. The nuns were from Lebanon. We prayed with them for
peace there. 
thing.  So far in my investigation I don’t know how they fit into the future church.  Their relationship to Jesus and service almost goes under the radar.  I believe it’s the same today.  On the Larry King show, He asked Billy Graham about his handling reward for all the great things that he had done.  I am paraphrasing here but Billy Graham answered “his standing in heaven, he would not be the most recognized believer there.  In Graham’s view he believed he was the “least of these” and there would be many who are humbled today would be great in heaven.  Billy Graham thought that greatness was measured differently by God than the way we do.
There are many secret believers behind the crescent curtain; there are many secret believers in China, in Africa, and places of persecution.  There are many people who make it possible for someone to be a spokesman, the public person, who support and live a life that pleases God.  We would do well remember that believers come in all shapes and sizes, personality types, disabilities, weaknesses, and are often the poor.  We may think of them a secret, but they’re not a secret to God.  The famous are always the rich, the beautiful, intelligent and successful.  God values the heart.  Keep walking
Take a look yourself - Matthew 27:57-61; Mark 15:43-45; John 19:38, 39, 40 Luke 23: 50-54.
What happened to these secret believers? part 3



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net