Saturday, March 22, 2014

Building bones

Eye of a Tiger, great for this exorcise
I was reading an article by Gretchen Reynolds what are good exercises to prevent osteoporosis?
According to John Dr. John Tobias, a professor in rheumatology at the University of Bristol, jumping and running seem to be the most effective way to build bone health.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/21/ask-well-exercises-to-strengthen-bones/?_php=true&_type=blogs&partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

If you have a set of 10 times in a row twice a day you can strengthen your bones in your hips.
Doing weightlifting and resistance training can help put bone on your spine and in your upper bodies, and the legs.
Running and impact sports are very good at adding density to the bones. The article didn't talk about walking, but I read other studies that show the impact from walking is very helpful to adding density to the legs and body as well.
It seems these activities tend to really work the muscles to bend the legs a little bit and the shaking of the bones kicks in growth hormones for the bones to respond and get stronger.
Hopping may be a little undignified or you may have a balance issue so I suggest to hop with your hands on the counter or a chair for stability and keep in mind it's just 10 times and then later you can do it 10 more times and you're really helping your  your hips to the thicken the bone. I am considering the hopping part jumping to put the put into my old man exercises.
I've been putting on old hits from the 60s because they usually ran about 2 or 3 minutes, and I've been simulating hitting the boxing bag for a three minute about. I am simulating the movements I used to do with a timing bag. I've been going through some motions in boxing while I'm boxing in the air. (shadow boxing) And I'm up to two rounds now and in between the rounds I do a set of crunches, sit-ups and push-ups. So far it's giving me about nine  to 12 minutes of continual exercise. If ad 10 hops to each round than there you go. In boxing if you hit through the bag, imaging your fist going six inches past the impact you add a power element. Shadow boxing is great on the bones. It also is aerobic. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net