Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas shootout - and winter activitiy

Merry Christmas fellow walkers,
This time of the year steps can be added through shopping, shoveling and indoor walks. Clearing the drive and side walks can give me over 4,000 steps. Use a step converter to use regular work and play activities to your daily total. At 58 I shovel with breaks if the snow is a heavy wet snow. Walking regularly helps me do work but I give myself more time to do the task. It is the same with cutting the grass. I cut a while then take a break with cool water or favorite cold beverage. I may read a book in the shade or enjoy looking and relaxing on the porch. Shoveling is no different, with outerwear I can enjoy a hot drink or cold drink and enjoy looking at a new snow. having bird feeders in the yard always give me something to relax and watch. Walking from where I left my task to my porch or kitchen table is more steps to add to my day. If I have been doing my aerobic walking my work times can be somewhat aerobic as well. But if the work is hard I let my walks and workouts be for my heart and work in the yard winter and summer I give my self more time and take needed breaks.
Using shores like shoveling as an activity for health gives me a good perspective on the work. We don't need to work at a pace that puts us at risk. There may come a day where such activity is unwise and work should be less stressful and less taxing. I believe activity can be healthful for many years to come. As always follow medical advise and stay walking and resistant training and stretching so that daily activity can be done for years to come.
At the Christmas dinner I ate a meal that was delicious but moderation and surrounding my plate with veggies made me feel better and less sluggish than if I over eat. I write about the meal now but at the party I made no big deal about it and enjoyed family and friends. Eating healthy and enjoying the meal and not being a bore about diet is something I am finding has its own value. It is like going through a major medical experience and sharing the experience. People really don't want to know the details. I write about these things in the blog and I am learning hopefully to write these thing to encourage the reader and myself that holidays can be enjoyed and still be healthy and keep us on track with weight loss and daily health.
Liam my new grand son is doing well. My four other grand kids and I had our traditional Nerf gun shoot out. The kids enjoy taking their best shot at me and colorful Hawaiian shirts. We must have shot at each other for over an hour. They hit me more than I hit them and with each hit they roared in laughter. We have protective eye gear and we have to shoot at a distance across the room. Our next shootout will be at Easter. Keep walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net