Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Act of kindness

Sometimes an act of kindness comes your way in unexpected ways. This 4th of July I was with my family down in Naples Florida enjoying the beach, the Gulf, grandkids, kids. I was going down to the water and as I entered the water a rather gentle wave got me off balance and down I went. Two young men quickly came to my aid and brought me back to my feet where I reach the depth to swim and move. I went from feeling like a beached whale to a confident swimmer.
I really appreciated their help and even tossed a football around with them on overthrows. I have to say I enjoyed my sun shirt, played all day in the sun without a burn.
Later that day sitting in a chair that wasn't meant for the beach broke, a family behind me loaned me a
chair for my size. I fella with broken English said to me "happy 4th of July." I was able to see the sunset and fireworks. I returned the chair upon leaving to a family I did not know but gave me an act of kindness I will not soon forget.
Having Cerebral Palsy can be very humbling at times. I hate it to have a need of others, I would rather give. But there are times when people bring out their best.
I was 8 years old at a camp for CP kids when I was promoted to help other kids more disabled than myself. It was in the water again where I was helping kids enjoy the water. I still remember a girl about 16 who was so tight she could hardly move. As I remembered her she had the face of an angel. She passed away later that summer, but on that day I helped her she had a smile on her face.
I must have played in the water for two hours. So thanks fellas for picking me up and thanks again to strangers for the use of a chair. I know they won't read this, but I won't forget. Keep walking  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net