Saturday, July 12, 2014

It is true talking about one's health can become "old hat".

Chicago lighthouse and tall ship, Lake Michigan
It is true talking about one's health can become "old hat". Something Dennis Miller said, struct true. "Everybody who hits 90 has problems." He said it funnier. We all have our struggles. Talking about them has a way of driving people away. There is way of saying, "way to much information."
I think we like hearing "I lost 100 lbs." "I have been cancer free for 5 years." "I just competed in my 50th marathon." With before and afterward pictures and a spot on a talk show. (Instant solutions)
As I look around that is not what I see. Most of the audience on Dr. Oz's show look over weight. All the tips and insights don't seem to show long term results. I went to a ball game the other day and it seemed like obese people were all over the place. The other day I saw a clip of an obese man sleeping at the ballgame and he was really out. The announcers saw the humor and shared their thoughts. The unaware fan sued them. The camera shows all of our fat and can be unforgiving.
There is good information out there and there are lots of people taking advantage of the opportunities to live better. But there are many who struggle.
In my life and research I find it is harder than we think to lose weight and live healthier. There simply isn't any easy solutions or fast fixes. It can be a common experience of little change over the years. Someone loses weight and check back in a year or two and they have gained it back. This story won't get much "copy" or be something everybody wants to read. A chronic condition and coping is not the most exciting news to right about. But I believe it is more common than overcoming.
For overweight people, working on it may be the only hope they have.
Don't give up. Recently on the day of my uncle's funeral I fell back and hit my head on a window sill. To say I had a big bump on my head is an understatement. I have shared some of my falls in the past. It is an ongoing problem. One of those things people don't want to hear. Some of the falls have interfered with my fitness. I now use nordic poles on uneven ground and thinking about cane support on sidewalks.
What you are trying to do pays off. What I have done has been good for me. I wanted to get a new cardiac doctor and glad I did. Had a stress test and my heart is healthy. The doctor wants me to really go for fitness. Biking, walking, working of strength and flexibility. Weight-loss will be a by-product of better habits.
Focus on the big picture. Our fight with heart, cancer, and diabetes is more important than a youthful or fanciful appearance. If you exercise and diet for the heart you will be doing the right things for cancer and diabetes.
Remember a fat person moving is healthier than sitting. "We were made to move," Leslie Sansone tells us In Home Walking. Doing one thing healthy will lead to another thing. Doing one thing healthy means you are doing one thing that isn't healthy. Look at what you can do and don't focus on negative stuff that may be around. We are all different so there are good ideas that are just right for us. Don't dwell on it, just do one thing at a time.
Each day is a new day. Screwed up yesterday. Hey so did I! Today we can go for a walk. Today we can eat one three quarter plate for a meal. Today we can have 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables, "5 is fine, nine divine" Dr. Cooper reminds us.
Live well and reduce regrets. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net