Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Have you ever taught Tom & Huck? I have a time or two.

There is been a few Tom Sawyer's and Huckleberry Finn's
pass through the halls of Joliet Central
Tonight I have a singular thought that Jesus quoted from the prophets, Matthew 9:13, "Go and learn what this means: I desire mercy and not sacrifice. For I didn’t come to call the righteous, but sinners.” when I looked up the Old Testament references mercy comes from the Hebrew word "hesed"which we get the word lovingkindness, mercy. It carries over a similar idea Greek word agape referring to God's love. We think of unconditional love, lovingkindness doing a benefit for somebody for their sake. When I contrast Mercy with sacrifice in my mind anyway I get the idea of doing something out of duty but not out of love.
What comes to my mind is Mark Twain's characters Tom and Huck. Those boys were smart, energetic and full of life. They weren't the kind of kids that you could contain in a classroom. I think they give us an idea of the real personality of who Mark Twain was as a child. Some of the people the boys ran into actually chose to care for the boys, but most are pictured as taking the boys in because of Christian duty. I can picture the harshness and the undertow of war between the teachers and the boys. There is no way that Huck will become civilized and Tom barely does because of his relationship to his aunt.
Samuel Clemens as a result of childhood experiences had a negative viewpoint about religion and religious people. Schoolwork in general he did not have a favorable view of. It is interesting to note that he married a very caring Christian and his daughters had a very loving hearts as well towards him. He felt late in life that he had let his wife down. He wore her down with his cynical attitude.
What if Tom and Huck would've ran into somebody that was willing to show them lovingkindness, mercy, a willingness to do things for the boys because they wanted to and they genuinely cared for the boys and not out of duty or sacrifice but out of love that could be firm and gentle. What if the teacher had a little fun in herself as she taught. I kind of figured that might be a lot to asked for. Whatever the boys decision would've been they would've had a sweet taste in their mouths.
Doing things from love and for the benefit of the other energizes the effort. Tom and Huck would know the difference. Learning outdoors, discovering their interests as part of the process. Who knows, a different outcome. But lost might be the great American novel and our focus on mercy. Needed much today, keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net