Wednesday, June 25, 2014

God is there in the dark moments

Sea crash where Spaffords lose their children
When you read Job 1 you will see Job lost everything dear to him. The result of the loss sent Job into a depression, chapter 2. To make matters worse Job's counsel is weeks of listening to negative voices. This is easy to do when you are depressed. Depression has its own outlook that is very dangerous. The circumstances of depression have to be considered and healing has to take place as we cope the realities of loss. We shouldn’t under play these circumstances, they are real and horrible. Each one of us would be deeply affected. 
You may be aware of the hymn "It is well with my Soul," written by Horatio Spafford (1828-1888) After losing home and investment to the Chicago fire in 1871, he sought recover for him and his family by taking a mission trip to England with D. L. Moody. He sent his family ahead as he cared for unfinished business and received a telegram from his wife "Saved alone". His four daughters drowned at sea.  Sailing to reunite with his wife he penned the hymn, "It is Well with My Soul."
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll; Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Refrain It is well, with my soul, It is well, with my soul, It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come, Let this blest assurance control, That
Spafford's life in Chicago 1870, before the trials
Christ has regarded my helpless estate, And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought! My sin, not in part but the whole, Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live: If Jordan above me shall roll, No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait, The sky, not the grave, is our goal; Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord! Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!
And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight, The clouds be rolled back as a scroll; The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend, Even so, it is well with my soul.
One might think that as the story goes I know everything works out. But sometimes the pain continues and the problems present themselves.
Words put together and published by 1873. P. P. Bliss wrote the music in 1876.  Spafford's life continues. He and his wife would have three more children. One more child would die in childhood. He did move to Jerusalem to set up a children’s home with the hope to become a overcomer. He dies of malaria which leaves his mind in a delusional state. His hymn has been a great encouragement to many. He struggled later with faith yet moved forward with the Lord. His work in Jerusalem, The American Colony is well known for their care of those in need. This work is still going on today. His wife and daughter worked in to the Old city until 1968. Horatio taught Jewish boys from 1882 to 1888.
Acknowledge the loss, and give time to heal
by faith trust as you move forward
It seems obvious that we can underplay circumstances that are significant. We do have losses and sorrows. They can add up to really affect how we live and behave. But the real the real story behind "It is Well with My Soul" Horatio Spafford wrote was that despite his struggles he did move forward. He found hope in the Lord. He did in the last years of his life seek to help others. He used his talents, directed the business he was in.  He went from a lawyer to an educator and an administrator that cared for children. His struggle along with his wife's was significant. The stresses add up and add malaria, and possible brain illness as he aged and he experiences mental confusion and early death at 60. Healing and wholeness happens in glory. The truth of the song he wrote is not just when things go right but God is there when things go horribly wrong. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net