Sunday, August 21, 2011

Vacation and friends - pt 2




Sometimes we are lucky and develop life long friends. I am blessed with many good friends I have known for a long time. What amazes me is these people also choose to be my friend. While on vacation I got a chance to visit three friends I have known for 45 years, 33 years and 32 years. I have others I won't talk about in this blog, but I could. These have the distinction of being close friends who live in Michigan.
I spent a couple of days talking and doing things with Dr. Bob Jasinski and his better half Becca. If you like conversation that stimulating and filled with humor you have come to the right house. Bob has been talking with me for about 45 years. Bob and his family have been a great influence on my life. Real education really doesn't happen to often in our schools but with friends like Bob I feel like I have earned another degree. One talk with Bob and I am off to the Library and set for months of thinking. We both were laughing into the wee hours of the night.
Our next stop was off to Grand Rapids to visit Rev. Dan and Cathy Schutte. Dan and began a ministry in the heart of the city where few actually go. Dan taught me how to do street ministry and I taught Dan the values of biographies and discipleship. Dan's work have gone to Africa and India and his track work is reaching millions in the third world. People in the US have shun tracks of the gospel but we are more needy than we think. Dan shared his growing worldwide work and I in return shared my insights in working with mentally challenged people. Throw in a few old stories and once again laughter is contagious. Dan and I have known each other for 33 years.
Our last friends to visit was Jim and Judy Smith. Jim here is pictured captaining his boat on Lincoln lake. Jim and I have known each other for 32 years. We were a big reason Pine Ridge grew to over 1000 campers a summer. We spent time at a cabin Jim remodeled and it was several days filled with great food, great talk, and big laughs. All three couples add to my ideas of aging and getting the most out of life. And isn't that the way to keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net