Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Progress continues, stretching helps growing research

1st week in barely made my goal with 154 minutes. I needed more time to recover from inflamation. This week I feel better. Today I did a 30 minute spin class with two sets of band resistance.

I read an article on the benefits of increased flexibility with age. First article is from the Washington Post, the first link below. The other links were given in the Post's article. The second article is from Mayo Clinic suggests these benefits:
"Stretching can help improve flexibility, and, consequently, range of motion about your joints. Better flexibility may:
  • Improve your performance in physical activities
  • Decrease your risk of injuries
  • Help your joints move through their full range of motion
  • Enable your muscles to work most effectively
Stretching also increases blood flow to the muscle"
The third article reveals stretching your calf muscles 4 weeks can improve blood flow 3.5-5%. My calf muscles are effected by my CP and directly hinders blood flow back to the heart. I have noticed indoor biking helps. Stretching I have noticed helps, American Heart Society supported what I suspected.  Below is a link to basic stretches from Mayo Clinic. 
I have previously shared how flexibility has to be part of our senior fitness program. Keep walking
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/now-were-finding-out-you-should-do-two-kinds-of-stretching-slow-and-vigorous/2018/08/31/cd256266-9047-11e8-bcd5-9d911c784c38_story.html?utm_term=.cf993fbf46fa&wpisrc=nl_lean&wpmm=1
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/stretching/art-20047931
https://med.fsu.edu/uploads/files/Newspubs/Print/Calf%20stretching%20may%20benefit%20peripheral%20artery%20disease%20patients%20_%20Patient%20Daily.pdf
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/multimedia/stretching/sls-20076840

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net