Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Looking for guest bloggers on this topic, "Are seniors discriminated against in healthcare?" Do bald lives matter?

In a recent hospitalization that I had for a lower leg infection I encountered an unexpected problem. Due to my age and handicap I was restricted to bed and I could not get out of bed unless I was supervised. An alarm in my bed would activate if I got up on my own. I could not use the restroom or get up and sit in a chair unless I was supervised.
I did not know that I had an alarm on my bed until I was sitting on the side of the bed and used my arms to raise my lower body to adjust for comfort. A loud alarm sounded and all the staff rushed into my room with determined looks for war to put me back in bed. I was actually was obeying the bed rest order. The alarm was too much. 
Historically, I have a good track record for being appreciative, compliant, and cooperative when I am in the hospital. Rarely will I complain, all though I do whine too much to Barb, but with the staff I am patient, sweet and in best humor. (Being this way is best for manipulation.) When I went through a hospitalization after having serious surgery the first few days I was out of it. I was told I was a good boy but at times said silly things.  I was unable to get up until the third day but was then encouraged to do so. 
Now with age and disability I was getting the strong feedback of a loss of rights. My whole life I have  pushed against my disability and did everything possible to stay independent and self-reliant. I was in the hospital for an infection, not for fall prevention. Behaviors in the hospital like going to the bathroom or getting up from bed and moving over to the chair were all activities I could do without ever falling. There may become a time when, due to aging, this may become an issue. 
I talked to a couple of my doctor friends about it and they told me they would put me on bed rest.  I argued that it is still conjecture and that it is my continued right to walk on my own. Since I was compliant the alarm was removed. I told them I would set off the alarm continually until they removed the alarm. I worked out a schedule where the aide could walk with me as I walked the unit. I put in a protest to the administration that I believed my rights were violated. I had the opportunity to speak my mind and then I let it go because I was there to heal from an infection not some gray life matters protest. In my case I may have to say, “Bald lives matter.” 
I know there is a balance between rights and disability issues as we age. How we are devalued as we age is of real concern. 
If you'd like to Post a comment about older people rights or like to write a guest blog on the issue of senior rights let me know. You may have an opposing point of view.

I have a hypothesis. If people's values are diminished then I think it's quite possible their healthcare will be compromised and diminished as well. What do you think? Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net