Sunday, December 13, 2015

Is it worth the risk? Sharing the "black dog"

I started the blog with my recovery from surgery and my quest to change somethings to have a better shot at health. With walking all of my health numbers improved. The one thing that developed was insomnea that I was not prepared to deal with. In two years the conflicts with sleep put me in a dark hole. 
Getting a grip on a healthy fight against the diseases that kill us is something we all can identify
with. But the black dog sneaks up and bites and holds on.
The cool thing is health can return with a little help. I can share with you how I came to fight back but it is also cool to share with you what it is like to have anxiety and depression in remission. I hope you have read about people who fought cancer and the cancer went into remission. Then there are those who had a heart attack and had there arteries unblocked and got back to their lives. Then there are those who got diabetes and made changes and got their sugar under control.
With these things people have been touched with disease and were shakened. I think there is a sense of what remission means, a second chance, wind, bouncing back. Not cured but able to get back into life, dinged but feeling good. 
What does it feel like to sleep? What does it feel like to not have panic attacks? What does it feel like to understand PTSD and not let irrational feelings to control you? It feels great! 
I opened up about these things in hope it would help me understand myself. I opened up about what happens when the brain has a problem. I knew there was a risk of people withdrawing from me. People have, but not everybody. Some of you may read this post. The marvelous brain, the little gray cells, the place of thought and will, the center that runs our bodies. Everything that I have experienced and learned really fasinates me. I think that fasination has helped me as well. 

Aging can be scary and we only do it once. At my age 25% of us can be battling with depression. Some are already battling dementia. Others are paying the piper with alcohol and drug use that has come to roost. Scary and frustrating, but I know there is hope. With lots of help and support the ole boy recovered. Yep, I feel fine. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net