Friday, December 4, 2015

Enjoy the view

Near Logan Pass
Isaiah 40:31 
But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

I have done some walks or hike I will never do again; but I am glad I did them and lived. One such walk was in Glaicer back in 1999. We walked a trail along Logan’s pass which is 9,000 feet+. The trail varies in width but, at times narrows. Many hikers walk this trail; but to walk it with cerebral palsy is hard to explain. If your step is not sure you can instantly lose your sense of balance. We walked for a while then came upon icy conditions. My tennis shoes were not up to the task. "I can’t go further." I was 47 at the time and was more aware of my limitations. Part of me hates turning back but the adventure wasn’t for survival or a trek of importance. I stood took in the view and then thanked God for the experience and carefully went back.
Others in the group continued and they had a good hike. 
Will and Tanya
Another hike, a few years earlier was to Moody falls in the Hava Supai Reservation. It was named for a guy who walked to the falls but fell and died. I believe the story was he was drunk. We made our way down at times aided by a chain. I made it to the last 20 feet where the decent was more or less straight down. My teen age son of a wise 15 years of age ascended back up to inform me I have gone as far as I can. I looked him in eyes and took in his concern. Am I looking at a man?
Inside I wanted to say  balderdash, poppycock, but I didn’t, I didn’t get to swim but, I sat and enjoyed the water falls. Unlike Moody, I lived to tell the tail. I also felt pretty good about my son. 
If you could be drunk and yet be fully aware you get an idea what it is like to have CP. 

If I return to Glacier my views may be looking up more than down. But I am glad I seen from above. The girl here walking where I did some 17 years ago brought back when the trail iced up. I wish every young person could walk there like she is. But if they do, pause and take in the view it isn’t just a hike. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net