Thursday, September 10, 2015

When it comes to health a good debate is cool.


Everybody writing about the health scene wants people to read their article. Many times when you look at Health articles you see sensational headlines. When you check out the article the information may even suggest otherwise. But if you made a headline about that nobody would read it.
I came across an article in the Chicago tribune, Health watchdog sets the record straight on which studies to believe.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/sc-hlth-0916-evaluating-health-news-20150910-story.html
http://www.healthnewsreview.org
I went to the website and I clicked on an article Half of Americans have diabetes or pre-diabetes? Really? What does that mean?
I read the study and I looked at the articles from the Los Angeles times, webMD and NBC news. The articles weren't wrong but looking at the health news review I had an opportunity to look at a critical analysis of the study. Not all medical authorities agree that half of Americans have diabetes or prediabetes. The study according to medical people who disagree with the study suggest the study has expanded the definition of diabetes and pre diabetes. This would naturally increase the numbers.
Diabetes is a big enough, and along with heart disease and cancer are the top three killers we face. There is no doubt about it as we age weight becomes a bigger factor in our health. For many years we can carry the weight and still be healthy, but as we age this becomes more difficult.
I appreciate it looking at the study from two points of view. Neither view plays down the problem of diabetes, but I think it helps to understand the best ways to prevent or delay the onset of diabetes.
For me, it encourages me to continue to work on losing weight and keep up exercising. To start with a heart healthy diet is the first beginning strategy.
On health news review there is a four minute interview with the doctor with mayo clinic. Nothing beats being aware of your health numbers and following a personal plan with your doctor. Too many times we blow this off and do not follow the recommendations. Remember our three enemies, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. We need to pay attention to the big picture and get a few more years of independent living in return. Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net