Sunday, September 27, 2015

Kindred spirits can be broken by politics

With politics brewing it seems we are in for nasty times. Anger, bitterness, and resentment will follow. In David McCullough’s book John Adams, he made me interested in Adams who was both passionate and intelligent with a story worth knowing. Insights about the friendships of Adams, Jefferson, and Franklin were worth the the time reading. These three men were the thought and soul of our independence. Their bond during the drafting and struggle for independence was very special indeed. 
Franklin the most flexible of the three died before politics drove a wedge between the friendship of Adams and Jefferson. Once kindred spirits they became bitter foes. Ideology took priority over friendship, They died on the same day 50 years later after their work on the Declaration of Independence. It is one of the best political documents of all time. Along with the Constitution I wish every american could read them or listen to an audio. 
I think most of us had classwork to pass a constitutional test in 8th grade. When it comes to historical documents or literature I agree with C. S. Lewis that I would rather read the document myself then have somebody explain it to me. Interpretation of others usually has a vested interest or motivation that underlies it. Reading a document that is 20 minutes to read is better than reading a 500 page explaination. 
Adams and Jefferson were first rate minds. Their friendship was genuine. What they did together was better than what they could do themselves. Politics and power can destroy the best of human relationships. Politics can enter into any human experience at work, church, or home. 
I think something was lost when politics destroyed the friendship of Adams and Jefferson. It seems it bothered them until the day of their deaths. Make no mistake about it politics is costly in human value and relationships. 
In the social media where you have friends of different political opinions, treat them with respect. Keep an open mind or least be willing to listen. I know I am cynical, but I am not sure politicians have my best interest nor do I think the media is looking out for me. It gives me pause before I articulate my two cents. Social media is a new beast for most of us. 
For me I prefer friendships over politics. Keep walking

P.S. John Adams was a walker, often for 10 miles or more even as an old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net