Friday, July 28, 2023

Moving forward when things go wrong.

One of the things I discovered writing a blog was that many plans and ideas about staying healthy only sometimes meet expectations. It is easy to give up.


One of the things that I wanted to do was to lose weight. For me, and most people, it is a lot harder to do. I could have been more successful. 

It takes a lot of work to write a health blog when you need help to do something. Most health writing is about success, not failure. But I may be successful in other areas, so I am writing and sharing my experience. 

Throughout my blog, I have written about fighting heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and aging, particularly in the brain. And one or more of these factors will hit all of us no matter what we do. So it's worthwhile to write a perspective that factors in all the natural losses we develop as we age.

In my family is heart disease, and one of the things that I tried to do was stay up on my heart health since my middle 30s. Recently I had a heart episode, that is in the process of determining what damage was done. The doctors put in a stent. 

Right now, I'm allowing my body to heal, and soon I will be going into cardiac rehab. That will give me time to develop a program that helps me recover, and I can learn from others going through the same thing. I do things at home: recumbent biking, stretching, short walks, etc. I'm thinking about balance, flexibility, and movement that aid my recovery in my day-to-day activities. 

What about losing weight? Well, I adapted one specific idea. I eat three meals designed to take in fruits and vegetables and a calorie count to automatically set me up to lose weight. I am taking responsibility for my eating outside of my basic meals. I have so many bad habits when it comes to food. Barb and I work with all the ideas we learned over the years, but keeping a boundary between my eating for health and all the extra eating I can do is what I'm working with right now. Right now, it is one day at a time. I am not actually working with the weight scale daily. Still, I am working on the discipline of staying away from all of that extra eating that I do.

There are so many things that I can enjoy, so it makes it easier to actually tackle the excess that I do.

My takeaways right now are worth sharing.

  1. I noticed the warning signs of pain and went to the hospital. 
  2. I was encouraged that my personal doctors were involved in my treatment at the hospital. 
  3. I used the available technology to do the angiogram through the wrist rather than the groin.
  4. I am very thankful that I can have each day to enjoy and work on what I need to do now.
Keep walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments and imput. I would like to hear from you. Contact me a bbbbsa@sbcglobal.net